Trailer wheel wont spin...PLEASE HELP!!!!

TwinAceMarty

Cadet
Hi guys, i have a 24 foot Continental trailer with brakes. The last time i hitched the trailer last season, one of the 4 wheels would not spin. I tried to force it with the truck moving it back and forth a couple of times and finally it gave in spinning perfectly on the road. Yesterday (after 6 months)i decided to start getting things ready for this season and i noticed that when i hitched the trailer and tried to tow it the same wheel is locked up!!!! This time there is no way to get it to spin.:facepalm: What could this be??? :confused:Is it an axle, bearing or brake issue?? Thanks in advance!!!

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Re: Trailer wheel wont spin...PLEASE HELP!!!!

You'll never know until you rip it apart. Sounds like it's due for full maintenance. Probably exploded drum brakes.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

The problem you have is you neglected to fix the problem when you found it, yes its the axle, it could be a bearing or the brake, Jack it up and take the tire off it, see if you can get the drum off if so its the bearing either way Be prepared to pay a nice toll for this one, if you would have had it fixed when you found the problem it would have saved you ALOT, Now its probably siezed, you are possibly looking at replacing the entire axle.

charlie2819

Recruit

Yep, this time the bearing on the axel is seized onto the axel shaft and you will have to replace the entire axel and get new bearings, and replace the brake drum. I had to replace a bad bearing when the bearing races had a worn set nut and came off just when I arrived home. LUcky me. From now on, tackle the problem from day one and dont put it off.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Chances are the bearings had nothing to do with the problem. ANYTIME you back a trailer with surge brakes into its resting place the surge system applies the brakes. Unless you pull ahead slightly to relieve that pressure the brake shoe(s) are tight against the drum. Brake shoes are semi-metalic. Metal against metal can rust - hence the seizure. Even free backing brakes will do this. On those systems it is the mounting of the shoes that allows rotation of the wheels when backing. The brakes simply do not grab as firmly as they do when moving forward. Always pull forward a bit bit before blocking the wheels and uncoupling. When parking a surge brake trailer don't jam the brakes on as this also actuates the trailer brakes. The best way to do this is to park the trailer, block the wheels and then pull ahead just enough to fully extend the coupler (just a couple inches is all it takes).

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Oh sure just when I get on my soapbox Silvertip comes in and gives the easy answer and rips the box out from under me!LOL

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I didn't intentionally rip the box from under you. Clumsy me -- I tripped over it and knocked it out from under you.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

LOL either way I deserved it!

Baybum

Cadet

I went throgh the same situation a few years ago with the seized rim assembly. It was just as SM Silvertip described. It took a lot of determination, muscle and a can or two of spray.....but I finally was able to break it down, attack the oxidation problems and reassemble. I then subsequently sold everything and got a Whaler. TwiceAceMarty......have you made any progress???

rickryder

Commander

I would vote for the brake shoe rusted to the drum....I have see it many times on cars and trucks sitting a while with the park brake applied. I wack the drum with a dead blow mallet a few times and most times they break free... Then it's time to tear down the brakes and renew everything.

G

A pennys worth of prevention ;) is ALWAYS way cheeper then a TON of dollars :eek: in my books :cool:

All I know is that if I take a few minutes to fix it today I won't have to do it later and waste a lot of time off the water later.