trailer title lost

Pole'e

Cadet
need help. bought a boat from private owner. he had title for boat but the title for trailer was tied up in state dept. Its been 4 years. everything is cleared. What do you do. Can't even tow it no sticker for plates.I have ideas on what to do, but should I.Please help.Already e-mailed state on problem.Waiting for answer from old owner/boat dealer/state/?

araiha

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: trailer title lost

Most states have a provision for filing for a lost title. I would call and try to find someone knowledgeable (yeah I know we are talking DMV!!) and see how they direct you.

Pole'e

Cadet

Thank you for the reply.At least I am getting some kind of answer.Its sad to say I get more information this way.Will try.

araiha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You will need to find the VIN on the trailer (dataplate) probably on the tongue. These can also be assigned if lost, but it is generally easier to have it.<br /><br />To ensure you don't get jerked by DMV do an internet search for the Administrative Code for vehicles for Illinois. Their procedures are captured in the tortuous reading and you can stick it in the DMVs eye when they tell you that what you are trying to do can not be done.<br /><br />Another tack would be to find a DMV in a small town, they tend to be much better.<br /><br />I am military and have done DMV Sh!t in too many states. Good Luck

singerjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Poles<br /><br />Every state has a resolution for this kind of thing. I had similar problem, DMV told me to have a notarized bill of sale and they would check if it had been reported stolen.<br /><br />Got temp. registration, tags, sticker same day and title in mail few weeks later.<br /><br />You may want to be for-armed with a notarized bill of sale. ;)

Pole'e

Cadet

Thanks Capt.I e-mailed the state twice,contacted my IL state rep, and also was in contact with free advice from lawyers in my loaction. Getting to a point where I am going to apply for a title for homemade trailer.Just trying to do things rite,but this is what you get trying to be a law biding citz. Waiting for my return e-mails from proper ??????. Thank u much. This seems lile a never ending saop opera.Until next bat time, on same bat channel stay tuned 4 the saga of trying to do things rite. Thanks again everyone.

araiha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The 'other' state wouldn't be Oklahoma would it? If so, they register boats and trailers together. There is nothing separate for the trailer. I know a guy who successfully fought through the bureaucracy to fix that one.

Pole'e

Cadet

Good question.The orignal purchase was a package deal.What good is a boat if you cant tow it. its a 19 ft grumman sport deck and fish.But when I put the boat in my name they asked for the trailer title,so I could transfer plates.This is an Illinois game.Believe it or not they dont even want my money to do a search.The orignal owner did and the state said we have it its just lost.Guess I'LL just loose my vote when it comes time.

ebbtide176

Commander

Maybe you can just go to a diff DMV office in your state and tell them you want to register a homemade trailer? I did this for my trailer (which came from pop, who got in on trade for who knows what...)that carries my 12ft river boat. Got the temp registration, bought tags,etc. Seems I got a metal reg. plate in @ 45days, which i attached to frame. just an idea- since i got same dumb stare from 1st DMV i went to, probably par for course i guess :rolleyes:

Pole'e

Cadet

Yeap thats what I have been thinking about too.Its pretty easy to build a pontoon trailer.Theres nothing to it.I'll give them a little more time.Just typed up a bill of sale and gave it to the guy who sold it to me.He's a good guy and we are both working on this.Thanks much.

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try calling the DMV main headquarters and ask to speak to the boating division. I had the same situation in my state, with a trailer from another state. One problem, the other state did not require a title to register it. The person at the local DMV office was as much help as a wart on a frog. Called the main HQ and got answers to get it registered. If you try to register it as home made, does it need to be inspected, sometimes inspectors know the difference. Also if it's registered as home made and something happens and the insurance company does an inspection, will the still pay?

letsbarbq

Petty Officer 1st Class

just bought a boat and didnt have the title for trailer. I just walked in and said, Ijust built my own trailer. Need some plates. They asked me how big was the boat and weight. Rmemeber you get taxed on this. I just said a 12 ft. alum. boat with engine weighs about 400-500 pound. Was out and had plates in 10 mins.

Pole'e

Cadet

This is it. I got my bait and going fishing. recieved E-Mail from state[2 weeks] They said title was mailed to leinholder 6/27/01 HA HA.Anyways,have signed documents and notarized. ready to go in.Useing grandpa's stainless steel rod with 12" leader. This one will not get away. Would like to put Graemlins all over but ?????????.<br /><br />AMEN Keep the line tight and keep fighten.<br />Don't forget the net!!!!!! <br /><br /> Thank you All. Keep u posted.

Pole'e

Cadet

Sorry you all have'nt heard from me 4 so long. I finally got temp reg 4 the trailer. Had a duplicate title mailed to my house. The title had a title number to it so the D.M.V mailed somebody elses title to my address. I sent it to my friend I bought it from, he signed it."Was going to sign it myself,,,,but" went back and abra ca dabra it's mine. thank you all for your help!. This solves my problem, and I hope you'rs will be solved too. Well getting camper ready,and boat for memorial day weekend. Going to south willmington to party with no worries.See u all soon. I am going to keep looking at this site cause it's cool. I finally got that one that everybody say's GOT AWAY. Thanks again.Pole'e with mate and four in the live well.Did'nt check spelling so...........BYE..

Pole'e

Cadet

Ok problem solved, now how do I get ride of this posting???????????????

PurpleDragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey there Pole'e,<br /><br />Glad you got that title stuff worked out!<br /><br />If you mean the test that posts at the bottom of every post that you make, you need to "edit you profile". You apparantly have it setup to attach that text to the end of every post you make.<br /><br />Up near the top of the screen is a link to "My Profile" Click it, then click on "View/Update Profile"... Then scroll down and edit your signature.<br /><br />G'Luck!<br />Rex S.