Trailer tires...

nsorvig

Cadet
I have a shorlander trailer that I need to get a spare tire for. The tires that are on there are SPORT TRAX TUBELESS G78 - 14ST. Does anybody know where I could get one of these and a bracket for a good deal???

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Trailer tires...

It may be hard to find that exact wheel and tire, If it says G-78 on it thats an old tire. Should be 205-75-14....
If you have Northern Tool stores in your area you can get the tire mounted on the wheel ready to go for under 100 bucks.The bracket for the spare that mounts to the trailer is about 20 bucks.

nsorvig

Cadet

If it is an older tire do you think I should replace them??? They have good tread yet since the boat really hasn't been used a whole lot. Only 2 other owners.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The average tire life is about 6 to 7 years before they start cracking from dry rot.It depends on how the boat is stored too.
There should be a 4 digit date code on the tire.
It should be something like 2402...that would mean it was made the 24th week in 2002 for example.

nsorvig

Cadet

Ok I will find out next weekend. I need to tow the boat about 260+ miles on the interstate to get it back to my place and the last thing I want is to blow a tire. :eek: Is there an easy way to check the bearings too?

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

RE: your question about bearings - Unless you're pretty proficient at servicing wheel bearings, just bring them to a mechanic and have them serviced. I'm told it really isn't a difficult task, but I've heard stories of bearings going out in the middle of nowhere and it's just not worth it for the cost of professional service. I have my bearings professionally serviced every year. I only tow about 1,000 to 2,000 miles per year, but they are always long trips (~300 mi one way) and have great distances between towns where I could get service if needed. It only costs me about $100 per year and it's worth it to me for peace of mind. I also touch the hubs every time I stop for a break to see that they're not hot. I've never had a bearing problem.

RE: tires. If you have any suspicion that the tires are getting worn - tread, cracks in side walls, etc. go to a tire store and have them replaced. If you're unsure, go to a tire store you can trust and ask what they think. Trailer tires - in terms of "boat bucks" are not expensive and again, for peace of mind, don't cut corners on tires. The same place can sell you a wheel and you can either buy a new tire for a spare or put the best old one on it. You can also buy wheels from any online source that sells trailer parts - whether it's a boating or trailer source (IBoats, Cabelas, Overtons, BassPro, etc). The mounting brackets are available in any boat store or trailer shop, also the same online sources If you can't find one before your trip, just throw the spare in the boat.

Make sure you have the right lug wrench for your trailer wheels and a way to jack it up. Don't assume your car jack and wrench will work. I recently bought something like this and it really works great, is cheap, and lightweight for easy storage on the boat:

http://www.iboats.com/Seasense_Easy...5599428--**********.538826120--view_id.237401

NYBo

Admiral

Those tires have to be ancient to be using that nomenclature. I would replace them before moving the trailer any distance.

jonsquatch

Cadet

My though is if you don't already know how take the time to learn how to service your wheel bearings yourself. I personally always have a loaded hub (rear bearing already packed and installed along with a new seal) in a zip lock bag and a front bearing along with a full set of bearings (greased) and a couple of seals in another zip lock bag. With that and a handful of cotter pins and a spare nut and thrust washer and my usual tools assortment I could replace a destroyed hub on the side of the road. I could also rebuild a failing one if the hub is still good. If I ever waste 2 hubs in one trip shame on me. Granted you should replace the races if you replace bearings but I don't carry a slide hammer or race driver with me, I can always take care of that again later. Parts are cheap when you don't need them, but expensive when you have to pay a mechanic to get them and drive them to BFE to install them for you or pay the tow bill to get it to him.

Maybe I am just not trusting in nature but I hate to pay a mechanic to inspect and repack my bearings for me. Its hard to tell the difference if he tore it all down and everything was good and he put it back together and added new seals, vs he squirted in new grease untill the old grease blew past the now wasted seal, vs he didn't do a damn thing, vs it was fine but he charged for all new bearings and races and/or new hub and did he really put them in.... If I do it myself I know and the only one I have to blame if I miss out on half a day on the lake sweating on the side of the road is me. Of course if you've got a missus who isn't very forgiving maybe it is better to have that other guy to blame...

nsorvig

Cadet

thanks again fellas! I am a little mechanically inclined but not having the boat near me and not knowing what it has been through make me unsure> I think I am going to just have to take it in and replaced $$$... :( Better safe than sorry though. I just get crabby when I pay someone else to do something I could do for free. I think I will just get two new tires and keep the old ones for spares. This is going to be a spendy weekend. (tires, rim, new prop., maybe trim tabs....) :confused: