Trailer tires, axles.

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a rinker fiesta vee 250 (28 feet LOA), and my trailer is a dual axle with brakes on the rear.

My trailer axles seem to be leaning like they are overloaded (only visible from wheels) The bearings still seem tight... And everything seems tight but it just doesn't look healthy. It tows fine but i'm worried im going to drop an axle hitting the wrong bump.

The trailer's actual structure is solid and holds it perfectly but I'm not sure about the axles, they might be 2-3500lb. axles. Apparently the boat weighs #8000. Does this seem right? So that would make them designed for #7000, right? Also, i was told you need ST tires on your trailer for the weight handling. mine say "Z-215/75/14R." i'm not sure what the z means?

i was going to put 2-6000lb. axle replacements on but its going to be about $600 a piece @ princess auto. is there a cheaper place to buy them in canada???

thanks in advance.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Trailer tires, axles.

Before you go swapping axles out, take the boat to a truck stop and get it weighed. Then you will know what size axles (if any are even needed) to upgrade to.

One rule of thumb is if the springs are flat, and not arched, then the trailer is being over weighted.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm no expert but I would guess that you have passenger car tires on the trailer. Trailer type tires should say on the sidewall that they are for "Trailer Use Only". I agree with Mark that you may want to weigh the boat & trailer to see what you are dealing with. You may also want to consider how far you tow your boat before dropping all the cash, or consider selling the trailer and putting the money toward one that is more suitable. I got a good deal on a 5200# axle with brakes from Champion trailers, check online suppliers, I am sure some will ship to Canada.

Last edited:

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

i was going to put 2-6000lb. axle replacements on but its going to be about $600 a piece @ princess auto. is there a cheaper place to buy them in canada???

thanks in advance.
Where are you, Mike?

These people are in Milton, ON, near 401. VERY knowledgeable;

"http://www.cerka.ca/"

Last edited by a moderator:

mikey.himself

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not as of yet, haven't had the time. i suspect my axles are simply overloaded. springs don't seem to be crying.