Trailer tire uneven wear

CoveSeeker

Seaman Apprentice
I have a tandem trailer and installed new tires summer '05. The lead tire on the right side is totally bald on the inside. The tread appears normal on the outside 2/3 of the tire. There doesn't appear to be any separation--it's just worn down. The other 3 tires appear normal.
What would cause this? I just noticed this and dont't know if it happened suddenly or over a period of time.
The boat and trailer together weigh in at 6,200 lbs.
Thanks,
Paul

frayed knot

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trailer tire uneven wear

It sounds as if maybe the spindle is bent. Park the trailer on a flat piece of concrete and use a framing square place one edge on the ground, the other placed against the base of the tire,pointing up. Take a tape measure and measure from the edge of the square to the dege of the rim at the top and bottom, they should be the same distance. Verify this with another wheel.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Spindle or axle. The tire is misaligned.

CoveSeeker

Seaman Apprentice

JB said:
Spindle or axle. The tire is misaligned.

Thanks for the replies. What's a spindle? And about how much would it cost to have it repaired whether it's the spindle or axle?
Thanks again,
Paul

frayed knot

Seaman Apprentice

The spindle is the end of the axle where the hub is attatched, the wheels are mounted to the hub.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It could also be cause by a defective tire. If a belt had shifted inside the tire, it would cause this exact problem.

Having said that, it is more likely a misaligned spindle, like the other posters said. The tipoff is the bad tire location. Front right tire gets most of the force from nice deep potholes which just seem to happen more on the right hand side of the road.

If it were my trailer, I would be buying a new axle...not repairing that one. Do you have brakes on that front axle? If you don't, its a good time to add brakes to the second axle. All tandem trailers should have brakes on all axles.

CoveSeeker

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again,
Brakes for the front axles were on my list. Any ballpark estimates to have a new axle w/ drum brakes installed by a shop?
Paul

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Well, if you did it yourself you are looking at around $180 for the axle and $250 for the brakes not counting shipping. Add a littl ebit more for U-bolts, brake fittings, etc,

I did mine in around 3 or 4 hours putting disc brakes on.

This place has good prices for the components:

http://www.championtrailers.com/

CoveSeeker

Seaman Apprentice

i bought a new front axle w/ drum brakes from the original manufacturer of the trailer, Yacht club trailers.

Come to find out that i actually had no trailer brakes at all the last 2 or 3 months b/c the brake line had rusted through(line was hidden in the frame) and the brake cylinder was bone dry(i s/h been checking that). I guess my Avalanche has been stopping the load, of course i try to give myself plenty of time to stop. I assumed i had trailer brakes b/c i had no problems stopping.

Because i had to have a new brake line installed, i put off the install of the front drim brakes. Also the new axle was about 1/4 inch longer than the old--but the mfg said it wouldn't make a big difference--so the shop had to drill holes for the leaf spring fitting--and they also had to cut some plates off the old axle and weld on to the new b/c it didn't come with the plates that fit b/t hte axle adn the spring.
The mfg gave the option of having them build another axle or having the shop drill the hole and weld the plate. I opted to go ahead and have the axle installed and the mfg gave me a credit for the shop's time.
Will that 1/4 inch longer axle be a problem?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I think your fine. Only an 1/8" on either side!

I am assuming this is the trailer for the boat you have in your avatar. Do you have brakes on both of your axles? If you don't, you should!

CoveSeeker

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the response Bruceb58. That is my boat in the avatar. I already have the parts for the second set of drum brakes--i just need to get them installed when i have the extra cash.
Thanks,
Paul