Trailer Tire Inflation!?

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know this may seem like a crazy question after having owned a boat for so many years..But here goes...The tires on my trailer are usually inflated to 40psi..however it states on the tires 65psi max load..225/75/15 4ply..What would be the safest pressure for travel?

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailer Tire Inflation!?

I would be running 65lbs if i were you. My tires run 65lbs also and thats what i fill them to. I made the mistake once on my first trailer i only put 35lbs in the tires not realizing that they were different from car tires. Two new tires where bald in 300 miles of a 600 mile trip. Its not always easy to find trailer tires when your on the road and out of town.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's typically what the tire says. That said, it will say max pressure and max load. The closer to the max load (boat weight) the closer you should be to the max inflation pressure. If you're close to max load for the tire, and running 35 pounds you risk blowing out a tire a there will be too much sidewall flex causing the tire to overheat. Also, an under inflated trailer tire is going to have a big effect on fuel mileage...so pump those suckers up!

Ian

nlain

Commander

What they said. A properly inflated tire is a cool running tire.

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tks Guys!! I have noticed flex in the side walls and thought for a moment "That can't be right", and yes..I do receive awful fuel consumption..and most of the time it feels like I am dragging the boat vs. pulling it! Tks again..Ima gonna pump dem bad boys up

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Give 'em a good visual inspection for cracks in the sidewalls. Might be a safe bet to replace them if they show cracking or feathering in the sidewalls or edges of the threads.

Ian