Trailer Tire Help

RCHRR

Cadet
I have a trailer that the previous owner had put on one 8" tire and one 12" tire. I replaced both with new 12" tire and rim combos. The problem is both tires are worn out after about 5 trips to the lake. There is less than 400 miles on them. One has even worn to the cords in the fabric and went flat in the yard. The axle is attached by 2 U-bolts. The tread was rolled or peeled off from the center of the tire out. What can I check and do to correct this issue?:confused:

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: Trailer Tire Help

Bent or over loaded axle.
Tires must be inflated to max pressure that is listed on the tire also.
Measure the distance from each side to the rear corner of the trailer.It should be the same on each side.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bad bearings? could that cause enough drag?
Or does the trailer have brakes, and are they dragging? Either of those could cause the wear, but the bent axle is cause the uneven wear. Oh ya, are you using trailer tires with enough pressure, they have a much higher load rating than automotive tires.

shuswap119

Seaman

RCHRR, you don't have a tire problem. Have to agree with Gary H on this, you have an alignment problem on the trailer, or you have it overloaded.

Regards,

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Park the rig on a flat parking lot in a way that you can eyeball the trailer from about 30 feet in back of it. Pay attention to the attitude of the wheels. If they lean towards each other at the top the camber is way off. then look at the axle in the middle. If it seems bent down the trailer is either over loaded or the axle is bent. That alone makes the wheels tilt in at the top. It's hard to tell by looking at them, but the wheels can have a severe toe-in or toe-out condition as well. It takes three people, but have one person hold a 4 foot level or straight edge against each wheel, in the center. Measure the distance between the two straight edges directly in front of the wheel and again directly in back. The front number should be 1/8 inch or so less than the rear (slightly toed in). If it is greater than the rear the wheels are toed out.

RCHRR

Cadet

I forgot to mention that the trailer is a duel jet ski trailer. Thanks for the replies I'll have to check the alignment of the wheels and for a bent axle.

j_martin

Admiral

The toe problem is pretty easy to cause by backing the trailer into a stump or rock trying to park it near the ramp. Happens all the time.

A wheel alignment shop should have the jib to bend it straight. Take it to them with a load on it.

hope it helps
john

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree you have an alignment problem that could be associated with a bent axel. If it was bearings the wheel would lock up and fuse itself to the axel. Spent an afternoon beating on an axel on the side of the road instead of playing on the water. That was not fun in the hot July sun in GA. I was 19 and learned a valuable lesson. My dad called it character building for some reason.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Tread separation like you described is usually associated with a tire overheating, and usually from too low of air pressure. Make sure that you are using trailer tires (not car tires...even if they fit), and that you keep the stamped air pressure in them.

Good luck!

j_martin

Admiral

Tread separation like you described is usually associated with a tire overheating, and usually from too low of air pressure. Make sure that you are using trailer tires (not car tires...even if they fit), and that you keep the stamped air pressure in them.

Good luck!

Naw, what he described is excess lateral slipage (sliding sideways for you kids) of the tires. Increased pressure just focuses the wear on the center, but can't decrease it.

Just curious RCHRR, did you get it resolved?

John

RCHRR

Cadet

Haven't had a chance to work on it since I'm in Nursing School but I'll get it resolved when it warms up and I don't have any test going on. I felt like I new what was causing it but needed a little guidence on how to fix it. Thanks for the assistance. Will post the out come when I get it fixed.