Trailer tire help please

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just purchased a used boat and trailer. The tires are pretty aweful and need to be replaced asap. The sidewall reads: p185 80d13

Could someone plese tell me what the appropriate replacement tire for this is please?

Thanks!

swordfish25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trailer tire help please

The 185 is the height,the 80 is the withe, and the 13 is the rim size. 13 inch. If the boat is a heavy boat, put heavy rated tires on .

Splat

Lieutenant

The P means passanger tire

The 180 is the width of the tire from one side wall to the other in MM

The 80 is the aspect ratio of tread to sidewall. Lower the number shorter and wider the tire will be.

D signifies bias ply tire

Bill

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Just to amplify on Splat's post... You don't want a "P"assenger tire on a trailer, you want a ST (Special Trailer) Some will disagree with this.

I believe the "D" is the load range. For example a load range D tire might be capable of carrying 1050 lbs @ 50 psi. 2 axles is 4 tires times 1050 = 4200 lbs total. Remember this is only an example. You'll need to know the total weight of the boat, loaded, plus the trailer, to know how much weight the tires are expected to carry. A tire to "light" for the load will fail (blowout).

rv_brit

Recruit

I've bought several used boat trailers in the past and the first thing i always do is replace the tires.

You really can't be too careful when towing your new boat down the highway.

Last edited:

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

Agree Agree, the last thing we need to do is change a tire on the way to a relaxing day on the water. I would also take a test spin with you rig and check the heat on your hubs to make sure your bearings are ok. I hate to see a boat on the side of a highway with the tire off because in this day and age you gotta figure some AH will probably steal something while your going to get a tire fixed. I do not trailer without a good spare tire. But alas that is the result of experience not good sense.

Safe boating ya'll

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, it is a 14' lund aluminum fishing boat with a 20hp outboard. The trailer is pretty beefy. I'd have to look at the plate tomorrow but this isn't a giant, heavy boat by any means. I would like to get the best inexpensive tires for it that I can. My understanding was that it needs to have trailer tires mounted vs passenger much like gstanton stated.

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most any boat dealership should be able to get you a set of tires.
Or you can go by you local tire store, and they can get them.
But yes, get those car tires off soon and replace them with trailer tires. Heck, ya might even find some on CL.

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry, I just don't understand tires I guess. I hate to sound dense but tell me if this sounds right.
I need an ST185 80(something1) 13(something2)

The something1 meaning?
and something2 meaning load range.

Jeep Man

Commander

Ok, it is a 14' lund aluminum fishing boat with a 20hp outboard. The trailer is pretty beefy. I'd have to look at the plate tomorrow but this isn't a giant, heavy boat by any means. I would like to get the best inexpensive tires for it that I can. My understanding was that it needs to have trailer tires mounted vs passenger much like gstanton stated.

With a light boat like that, a passenger tire is not going to hurt. Atrailer tire has heavier sidewalls for heavier or tall loads.

Charlie in TX

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry, I just don't understand tires I guess. I hate to sound dense but tell me if this sounds right.
I need an ST185 80(something1) 13(something2)

The something1 meaning?
and something2 meaning load range.

185 means the tire is 185 mm or about 7.3 inches. 80 means the wall width is 80 percent the tread width, in this case about 140mm or 4.8 inches. The 13 is the bead diameter. In your case the load range is 'D'. That is little more than a load rating for a specific tire.

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With a light boat like that, a passenger tire is not going to hurt. Atrailer tire has heavier sidewalls for heavier or tall loads.
Passenger tires should last longer than trailer tires right? I mean I won't be wearing the treads out on the tires for a long time. I live in AZ and trailer tires get dry rot pretty quick here. If passenger tires are ok to use and they last longer then I will go for those since they appear to be around the same price. What do you think?

raekmike

Seaman

DO NOT use passenger tires. The sidewalls are not designed for the stresses and strains put on them by the trailer. Trailers do not have the same types of suspensions that cars do. Trailers are stiff so the tires need to be stronger because they take alot more impact when hitting pottholes etc. neither tire will outlast the other type. you will never wear the tread off either type. Expect to replace your tires every 5 years just do to age, drying, ozone cracking etc. That is why most tires have a 5 year manufactures warranty because they all degrade at about that time. Extreme climates will make this vary a bit.

reelfishin

Captain

I can't say I agree with the trailer tire only idea when it comes to a light aluminum boat.
Most trailer tires give little or no sidewall flex and make for a really rough ride with a super light boat.
No harm will be done using passenger tires in this situation.
For any boat under say 1,000 lbs, I'd opt for the passenger tires with no worries. There is just no reason for the heavier sidewalls of an ST tire on a boat that will never even flex the sidewalls.

I've often downsized from a 13" tire/wheel to a 12" as well on some trailers for both cost and height reasons. When your boat weighs in at under 500 lbs with the motor and gear, there's little reason to worry about needing special trailer tires. Especially if your not driving long distances.