trailer sway

jrc27

Seaman
if your trailer has a slight sway is this due to too much tongue weight or not enough? cause it seems as though the bow stop has slid forward over the years..

bubbakat

Captain
Re: trailer sway

Not enough weight on the tongue or the axel is out of alignment or you have a low tire

Your tongue weight should be 6% of the total weight of your boat and trailer, 5% for a tandem trailer. Moving the axle forward 1 inch will increase tongue weight by 10-15lbs, the reverse by moving it backwards. You also want to make sure your boat is on the trailer as far as it can go. The transom should be even with the last roller or bunk.

BAINOR

Seaman Apprentice

Moving the axle forward 1 inch will increase tongue weight by 10-15lbs, the reverse by moving it backwards.
This seems to be the opposite of what you should do. Would seem to me that moving the axle backwards would increase tongue weight and moving the axle forward would decrease tongue weight.

I made a mistake there. That is correct..Moving the axle backwards increases tongue weight, forward decreases it. Sorry about the confusion on my part.

L Christopher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just my .02cents, but the center of gravity should be just forward of the front axel and tongue weight should be 10% of rig weight. 3000# rig = 300# tongue weight.

You are probable right there too storm. I have a shorelander trailer and the info i posted i found on their website. I guess it just comes down to how does it handle when you tow it and how much tongue weight can your tow truck handle.