Trailer rewiring

Smedley

Cadet
Please forgive me if this is a repeat post. <br /><br />I have a '82 Bass Tracker w/original trailer. Lately, I noticed the trailer wiring is deteriorating and looks like it needs replaced. What is the easiest way to rewire this thing?<br /><br />I was thinking that I would need a fish tape, like electricians use, but how do I separate the wires to go to the different sides of the trailer?<br /><br />I'm sure I'm trying to make this harder that what it actually is.

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailer rewiring

Use the old wires to pull the new wires through.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you buy an trailer harness, it will have two separate harnesses -- one for each side. They are joined at the tongue. If you simply buy new wire, buy the appropriate length (four wires) off a spool at your local auto or home store. This wire and simply be split into two two-wire pieces and run down each side.

beniam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Smedley<br /> Dont know if you are running wires through an existing conduit (frame). If you want to run wires along the frame, a bulletproof way is to get the black plastic flexible conduit (split at the side), comes in 10 ft lenghts at the electrical dept of Home Depot or Lowes, etc.<br />Be sure to get plastic ties, not tape. How good or bad it looks is a question you will have to consider. I could say I solder all my connection, but I dont want to start an argument.Good luck and be happy. Batavier

Smedley

Cadet

Thanks to all. I was definietely making this harder than it had to be. I'm going to be fishing today, but will try and get this done tomorrow. <br /><br />Thanks again for the advice.

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

Killeen TX I lived there for 2 1/2 years. Ft Hood actually.<br />DougV>

Smedley

Cadet

I got the trailer done. It was much much easier than I thought it would be. Historically, I have problem when it comes to electrical items. The only problem I had this time was the right side wires were stuck somewhere inside the trailer and I couldn't wiggle them loose. I used a little Yankee ingenuity and got out my drain snake, ran it up the trailer from back to front, threaded the wires throught the spring and taped them. They pulled out just fine and I got the old wires too.<br /><br />I noticed though that my side markers go off and on. Not blinking, but they stay on for a while then go out. Any clues?<br /><br />djvan, I too came to Killeen via Fort hood. Been out since '98 and stayed here for the weather. Can fish and golf in January and February.

GaCracker

Cadet

Almost certainly a bad ground. Check the bulb, the bulb bases, and the ground from the light to the frame, usually the screws or bolts that hold it one.<br /><br />May be as simple as a taking a piece of steel wool to the bulb or bulb socket.