Trailer restore, very old bearings

wango

Cadet
I have an old trailer for my 14' aluminum Sea Nymph. I estimate the trailer is mid 50s vintage, but I really don't know. I can't seem to upload any pics. This trailer has coil springs and shocks. The bearings are absolutely shot, I used a snowmobile trailer to bring this trailer home. When I pulled the hubs I found the seal is a 2 piece design, the bearings are 1 inch and both inner and outer are the same. The spindle is the same diameter from one end to the other, no steps and no smooth surface to allow a traditional style seal to ride.

Does anybody know if there is a place to buy a seal or bushing to put this back to original?

Thanks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer restore, very old bearings

Not sure where to buy such two piece seals. You may come out better purchasing a complete new axle assembly that includes the hubs with all the new bearings and seal. For that type of boat a normal 2000lb axle setup would be around $100 dollars or so... and that would solve all your problems trying to find those old seals and bearings. JMHO!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Go to an actual bearing manufacturer or distributor with the stuff you have. They will likely match something up for you. Check yellow pages under bearings. Over this side we have a place called Canadian Bearing that has never let me down yet.
Good Luck.

slowleak

Petty Officer 1st Class

You may also want to look into a few places that specialize in vintage RVs and trailers, most of that old stuff is still available but only from specialty dealers.
The 1" bearings should be common, the seals may be a bit of a challenge.
A pic or two would really help.

steelcity

Cadet

Hey Wango just curious what type of roller system do you have on your trailer, that your boat rolls up on...regular rubber ones .?
Thanks

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

buy a new axle, $100 and done,,, u will be glad u did

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

7 month old thread!!!

OP hasn't been on since he posted.