Trailer Refinish

Gearhead62

Seaman
I have an older roller trailer that supports a 22' boat. Appears to be all painted steel frame including the axles and cross members that support the many roller assemblies (which are all galvanized - no paint). Trailer is sound but showing some spots of rust on both areas.

I am sandblasting the rust spots on both painted areas and the galvanized areas....

For the blasted galvanized areas, can I just hit these areas with that zinc galvanizing compound aerosol spray? Finish is gray / silver

For the painted areas, just prime and touch-up? Or is there generally galvanized steel under the paint?

Need advise pls........Thnx

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trailer Refinish

the cold galvanizing stuff is expensive $ 14 a spray can is the cheapest I found it, but I did a raw steel trailer 2 years ago and it still looks good and I dunk it in brackish water constantly, sometimes I forget to rinse, lather and repeat......lol

BTW it took almost 4 spray cans for a 15 foot boat trailer, and it got skinny at the end

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Trailer Refinish

I would recommend Zinc Chromate primer. It is cheaper than the spray on galv in a can. It can be bought at paint supply stores. Once you get it blasted and primed, pressure wash everything, let dry and paint.