Trailer recommendation 25' Premier PTX

Gnu2boating

Cadet
I am looking to buy a 25' Premier PTX pontoon with 225hp Suzuki OB.

It does NOT have a trailer with it and I will need to be picking one up. As soon as I began looking, I knew I was in over my head. Does anyone have recommendations? I will be trailering this behind a Toyota Sequioa about 150 miles roundtrip for the most part. Wanting mostly for weekends.

What things should I look for and stay away from? Would a used trailer be worthwhile... where should I look? The boat is used and as long as the trailer is in good condition, I would rather have a used trailer as well. But I want to ensure that I have something of quality, because the last thing I want is to be spending alot of time because I tried to save a bit of money, and now I am trying to fix the trailer every week.

JWRoberts

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trailer recommendation 25' Premier PTX

I would go used too. Look on ebay, craigs list and boattraderonline for used trailers. Not much to go wrong on trailers. If the trailer is more than 10 years old, then have the bearings repacked and replace the tires if more than 5 years old.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

With that haul you will also want a tandem axle trailer with brakes. I have a Wesco galvanized trailer and love it.

Depending on your budget there are a few other things to think about. Will you be boating in fresh or salt water? If you are sticking to fresh water then a painted steel trailer will be fine.

When checking out a trailer with brakes I recommend researching the braking systems. Most pontoon trailers have surge brakes. Inspect the braking system , you don't want the wheels overheating or locking up on your way home.

If you can jack the trailer up a bit and see if the hubs have any play in them. 1 year old bearings can go bad if they filled with water and the PO did not grease them after trips to the ramp. Bearings are cheap. Brake systems not so much.

PA FF

Cadet

I would look at a ?Bunk Style? trailer; with the distance you are traveling it would be more stable then a center load trailer. I had a hard time finding a used trailer when I was looking. A new single axle bunk style trailer without brakes in my area is going for about $2,200.00. In your case it would be a little more because of the length, tandem axles and brakes. Good luck finding a ?nice? used trailer. My boat is a 20? pontoon and it was pretty unstable on a center load trailer, I couldn?t imagine a larger boat on that kind of trailer. The only drawback with the bunk style trailer is it sits a little high and you may have problems launching on some ramps. Good luck?

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

+ 1 on the bunk stlye
+ 1 on the tandem axle
but unless you boat is over 3000 lbs I would avoid brakes on a used trailer, just too much to worry about, as I read your over your head just looking for one, inspecting brakes on a used trailer is 10 times harder that just picking one out...trust me...

good luck locating a good used trailer, I purchased new for my used pontoon, new-new, used-used, doesn't matter....remember this.... that trailer is the only thing keeping you boat on the road.....I usually trailer about 30 miles to the water at 50-60 mph, at 25 foot boat ( the trailer will be about 30 or more feet in length )....that's a big boat to haul butt at interstate speeds if you plan on that.....I say break down and look at new trailers, my tandem axle was $ 2200 here in Central FL

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

It depends on where he is. In this state anything over 2500lbs requires brakes.

frigg3

Recruit

If you want to go used the main concern is rust... look for no rust and just do your home work (parts $$$) And plan on replacing ALL bearings and breaks just to be safe. I usually have my family with me so everything i buy unless its brand new i just plan on replacing the brakes no matter how good they look.:cool:

oh and if your in phoenix Az I have one that I made myself. Its tandom and has hydro brakes in it.

STAY AWAY FROM ELECTRIC BRAKES