trailer questions from a newbie

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, here's my dilema:<br /><br />I have a 22ft centre console fiberglass boat. Purchased it used and I have no idea what the weight is (but I'm assuming it's heavy) It also has a 380lb o/b on it.<br /><br />My current trailer (came free with the boat) is falling apart and I'm toying with repair vs. replace. I haven't taken the trailer on the road as the tires (single axle) are slightly bowed out. Is it safe for me to assume that the boat is too heavy for the single axle trailer? Should I be looking at a double axle trailer?<br />The local boat dealer is trying to sell me a new trailer, single axle, but it is also shorter in length than my current trailer. Not sure if he wants a quick sell or not.<br /><br />Any ideas on what type of trailer for a 22ft boat?<br /><br />thanks

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: trailer questions from a newbie

What is the boat name, model and year?

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can you post a pic? Easier to visualise, then.<br /><br />Ciao

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice

how do I post a photo then?<br /><br />I truly am lost

Bondo

Staff member

I would think a Tamden in the 3000/5000lbs. class would be a Much Better match than another single axle.........<br /><br />22' is Alot of Boat.....

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

My Bro in Law has a 22 or 23 ft center console with 175hp o/b. The trailer is tamdem axle and has a massive frame.<br /><br />Mark

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It depends alot on the boat. A 22 foot Pathfinder weighs 1350 lbs. A 22 foot Seacraft weighs 3070 lbs and a 23 foot Mako weighs 3150 lbs. What make and model is your boat. I know some guys that have their Pathfinders on single axle trailers. Also, if you are using it in saltwater, go for an aluminum trailer with torsion axles.<br /><br />HeadHunt

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions.<br /><br />My boat was 'custom built' down here in Belize. I spoke with the boatbuilder yesterday and he said the boat & o/b would weigh about 3,000lbs.<br />The boat is used only in salt water.<br /><br />The local dealer is trying to sell me a single axle, aluminum trailer with a rating of 3,500lbs.<br />I'm not sure this will be strong enough to support the boat when loaded with gear/gas etc.<br /><br />I also do some long distance towing (4 hrs) through the mountains (when I need to take it to the city for repairs).<br /><br />What would you all suggest for a trailer? <br /><br />thanks again

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like you will be approaching 5000 lbs. with motor and equipment. I would look hard at a Majic Tilt aluminum, http://www.magictilt.com tandem axle with brackes since you plan on towing in the mountains. I have seen these on the used market before as well as new.<br /><br />HeadHunt

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by tarpon:<br /> Hi all, here's my dilema:<br /><br />I have a 22ft centre console fiberglass boat. Purchased it used and I have no idea what the weight is (but I'm assuming it's heavy) It also has a 380lb o/b on it.<br /><br />My current trailer (came free with the boat) is falling apart and I'm toying with repair vs. replace. I haven't taken the trailer on the road as the tires (single axle) are slightly bowed out. Is it safe for me to assume that the boat is too heavy for the single axle trailer? Should I be looking at a double axle trailer?<br />The local boat dealer is trying to sell me a new trailer, single axle, but it is also shorter in length than my current trailer. Not sure if he wants a quick sell or not.<br /><br />Any ideas on what type of trailer for a 22ft boat?<br /><br />thanks
Get the boat weighed. Take it to a truck weigh station, junk yard, etc. Don't forget the weight of fuel, water, etc. You need to know the actual weight, not a guess.<br /><br />Many trailer manufacturers have websites with load capacity charts and some have recommendations for particular models of boats.

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I plan on getting it weighed (soon as I can find a scale). Anyways, spoke with the boat builder and he said the weight is 3000lbs. Therefore, I am going to go with tandem axle trailer. I have found a used one for a great price, just have to do some refurbishing now. I'm going to start a new thread on that one.<br /><br />Thanks everyone, for all your good advice. This board is fantastic!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Visit the Shorelander boat trailer web site. If your boat is anything near 3000 pounds you need a tandem trailer -- period.