Trailer PT Bunk Carpet Glue

Jake007

Seaman
Well I am finally getting ready to redo two of my bunks. I typically go into salt water and some fresh water. I bought pressure treated wood and the West M carpet. I originally bought galv carriage bolts to connect the wood but I am rethinking that it may be allot easier to just use 3/8" x 1" galvanized lag bolts since I can just lay the wood on the bracket, predrill pilot to match the bracket, and put in the bolt from the bottom side going up.

Q. What glue product can be used on the PT wood to add extra holding power for the carpet? All of the cans I looked at have fine print that says not for use on PT wood. I am planning to use Monel staples on the sides and bottom of the board. Do I just skip using glue/ adhesive?

Q. What do you use to finish the wheel well wood? My original came with carpet on the tandum axle opening but it doesn't seem to make sense for an area that will have dirt and water splashing on it? Use regular wood, spray it black? Carpet again?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer PT Bunk Carpet Glue

Don't bother with glue.

UncleWillie

Captain

Don't bother with glue.
+1

The glue will not adhere to the wet wood
and that Treated Lumber will not be dry unless you keep it in the house and wait till Spring, or put it back in a lumber kiln.

MRS

Commander

I just use indoor outdoor carpet adhesive on top only and regular 2x6's plus the staples and also the lag bolts. No need for the treated lumber mine seem to last over five years with regular lumber one's on now going on six years. I do the adhesive so carpet will not puff up and get ripped seems to work for me.....

bigdee

Commander

No need for the treated lumber mine seem to last over five years with regular lumber one's on now going on six years.

+1
1. PT has corrosive chemicals
2. PT is 2nd grade cut lumber and more prone to warp
3. untreated 1st grade douglas fir or even SYP will last a long time.