Trailer prep

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone know off hand a quick link on this site for a trailer check list? And what is a typical price to have a 23ft trailer painted the same color?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trailer prep

a trailer is fairly simple. rust? weight capacity, length, bearings, lights, winch, coupler. i paint mine my self. also if you are going into salt water, or towing on salted roads, Galvinized is much better.

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I already have the trailer, just getting it ready for the season. You say you paint it yourself...What type of paint do you use..keep in mind I have no painting equipment

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

This site still amazes me...the similar threads at the bottom..how resourceful

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i would use rustoleum, a 3 inch roller and brush. check tires for cracks always keep them inflated to recommended pressure, low pressure is the # 1 cause of trailer tire failure. winch strap, condition of the winch, wheel bearings serviced, lights, and the stern straps.

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, so the paint comes in a can..any particular place I can purchase it or is located at any WalMart or auto store?

ebry710

Ensign

Rustoleum can be found at auto stores, home depot and any place that sells paint. Great stuff. Spray or roller. If you use spray do a couple coats with primer if you see metal. :)

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

Yup, I used Rustoleum hammer tough grey. I kid you not, it looks like a brand new trailer.