Trailer popped off truck! wont lock..help please?

lazydayz

Cadet
First off I wanna start by thanking everyone on this site. I had a couple issues with my motor and I made a post and I recieved detailed info from lots of people.

Second, I want to mention as I always do, I am a total NOOBIE at boating...

Backgroud: I have a 20 foot 1972 Witchcraft with a Mercury Blackmax outboard 170 HP motor. No info on the trailer...its got 2 wheels in the back and thats all.

Problem:

Today I loaded the trailer on my truck and began to drive home. I was at a stop, when I began to go the trailer popped right off and fell to the ground. thank GOD the chain was on, or else it wouldve rolled right into the senior citizen and his CADILLAC. When i got it back on I pulled into a gas station.
I figured out (remember im a noobie so i dont know correct terminology) the lock that u push down when the trailer is on the tow ball, seemed to not be locking around the ball. When i put the trailer on the ball and locked it, I could pick up the trailer right off the ball. I played with it a little and got it to lock in place (I think). Drove it home which was only 4 miles or less. I had 1 friend in front of me and 1 friend behind me traveling at 25 mph just in case it would happen again.

So I would like to know, what do u guys think I should do? Should I try to take the lock out and put it back togeher? it seemed very loose but the bolt wasnt moving, it was tight.....I just dont know....

Please help with any suggestions....

Thank you.

-Omar

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: Trailer popped off truck! wont lock..help please?

Couple of things. We'll start simple first, as I like to do.

Are you sure your ising the proper size ball. There are 3 standard sizes available. 1 7/8 2 and 2 5/16.

More than likely your coupler will be for a 2" ball, it should be stamped right on the coupler somewhere.

The other options here have to do with the foot on the coupler. There should be an adjusting bolt underneath the coupler. Check to ensure this nut hasn't come loose. You can hook to the ball and try to tighten this nut to see if you can take the slop out. A little play is desseriable, but should def not allow the coupler to slide off the ball.

The last possibility, and its more common than you think, the foot on the coupler was forward when you lowered the coupler onto the ball. Thus the foot was resting on top of the ball in the forward position, and when you latched it it never really grabbed. I normally after flipping the locking lever down, reach down under the coupler and ensure the foot is under the ball and tight. I used to have a trailer that if you weren't careful the coupler would sit all the way on the ball but would have that foot forward and it would look good, until you picked up on it.

Of course something could actually be broken, however it's not very common.

BIll

lazydayz

Cadet

Couple of things. We'll start simple first, as I like to do.

Are you sure your ising the proper size ball. There are 3 standard sizes available. 1 7/8 2 and 2 5/16.

More than likely your coupler will be for a 2" ball, it should be stamped right on the coupler somewhere.

The other options here have to do with the foot on the coupler. There should be an adjusting bolt underneath the coupler. Check to ensure this nut hasn't come loose. You can hook to the ball and try to tighten this nut to see if you can take the slop out. A little play is desseriable, but should def not allow the coupler to slide off the ball.

The last possibility, and its more common than you think, the foot on the coupler was forward when you lowered the coupler onto the ball. Thus the foot was resting on top of the ball in the forward position, and when you latched it it never really grabbed. I normally after flipping the locking lever down, reach down under the coupler and ensure the foot is under the ball and tight. I used to have a trailer that if you weren't careful the coupler would sit all the way on the ball but would have that foot forward and it would look good, until you picked up on it.

Of course something could actually be broken, however it's not very common.

BIll

Thanks so much Bill, I will try all these things that you said...I really do appreciate it...its tough when you dont got money and experience on these things...its always great that people like you can help....

thank you....

ultrarunner

Cadet

Coupler could be worn out... a neighbor that tows a trailer for business 30k miles a years changes his coupler every year... he said a new one is less than $30

I've come across wrong ball or wrong couple made to fit a couple of times... only an 1/8" difference between 1 7/8 and 2" balls.

A couple of months ago, a buddy said he had a heck of time hitching up his brother-in-laws boat... it was so hard that he had to use a 5 pound hammer to get the coupler over the ball :eek::eek::eek:... 2" ball and 1 7/8" coupler...

The next guy that uses the right ball with that coupler may be in for a surprise.

lazydayz

Cadet

Coupler could be worn out... a neighbor that tows a trailer for business 30k miles a years changes his coupler every year... he said a new one is less than $30

I've come across wrong ball or wrong couple made to fit a couple of times... only an 1/8" difference between 1 7/8 and 2" balls.

A couple of months ago, a buddy said he had a heck of time hitching up his brother-in-laws boat... it was so hard that he had to use a 5 pound hammer to get the coupler over the ball :eek::eek::eek:... 2" ball and 1 7/8" coupler...

The next guy that uses the right ball with that coupler may be in for a surprise.

Thanks for your help! I'll be looking into all of this..