Trailer Painting

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would like to paint my trailer over the next few days, but have a few questions before I try an do something that I am clearly not qualified to do. I have read several posts that suggest preparation is key. Then rust o leum paint applied with a brush or roller. Does this sound about right or am I missing a part?? I have already knocked down all the rust, I wonder if I am ready to paint then??? Please help the needeeee.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Trailer Painting

I'd convert the rust first with Ospho.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

seeing you have a steel trailer. get the rust back to shiney metal, then use rustoleum primer, the paint the trailer with rustoleum of your choice. i have painted many this way, a 2 or 3 inch roller, and a 2 inch brush, makes it go a lot faster.

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you can, go with the rustoleum spray cans. The finish comes out much nicer and it dries much faster than the brush. It is also easier to get into the nooks and crannies. The cost really isn't that much more for a small trailer

ebry710

Ensign

I have always used both.

As FDMSIV said spray cans give a better finish and get into the nooks and crannies. It usually takes more than one coat and over spray is a real problem.

Rollering bulk paint is quicker and great for frames. It also allows for a thicker coat of paint.

reelfishin

Captain

I've also had really good luck with MAB industrial enamel and Farm implement paint from Tractor Supply. (Two of my trailers are Massey Ferguson metalic charcoal gray now). That stuff is meant to hold up to the elements and abuse. I did my flat bed trailer with MAB highway safety yellow, I found three gallons of the stuff at a yard sale for cheap, it's been several years now and it still looks like I just painted it.

ebry710

Ensign

Massey Ferguson metallic charcoal gray I think would be great, MAB highway safety yellow would definitely stand out.

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

I"ve found that while cans get into the nooks better, a good brush job holds up much better over the long run. Maybe use a brush then for the nooks use a spray can.

DougV>

MABON01

Recruit

If you are going to use a brush and roller add a little "Flotrol" to the paint. It is an additive that is available that relieves the surface tension and gives a glass smooth finish. It also helps in bonding. As an aside make sure that you degrease, dewax and prime first regardless of whether you brush or spray.

Good luck and happy painting....

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the advice, I quess I'll get started...how long does it usually take to dry in the open air? I believe the weather will be nice for the next three days.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I'd still use Ospho on it no matter how clean you get the metal. It converts the rust (any rust even if you can't see it) from iron oxide to iron posphate (probably spelled that wrong). Which is the steel metal prep solution your supposed to use before primer.

Wether your painting it or powdercoating it, step one is always step one.

THE number one reason Powder or Paint system fail is improper substrate prep.

I worked for five years at American Powdercoating in Ft Lauderdale and did every swim platform, bolster chair base, grab rail etc on every Cigarette, Powerplay, Sonic, etc made during those years. Also did parts for Taco Marine, Sea Ray, every B-Bracket, Deanglo Marine exhaust.

Ospho cost only $20 and you can get it at any home depot/ marine store/ auto parts store.

ebry710

Ensign

MABON01 welcome to iboats. I have never used paint additives. Sounds awesome.

MABON01

Recruit

Thanks Ebry... Glad to have found this site and I hope to learn as well as share knowlege.

Another product that is the same as Flotrol is Penatrol (it can be found at most Home Depot's and Menards as well as paint stores.

Happy crusing
Nik

ebry710

Ensign

Thanks Ebry... Glad to have found this site and I hope to learn as well as share knowlege.
Nik

This site is the best forum I ever found. I have learn so much and there is so much tolerance for the new guy.

reelfishin

Captain

I used a rust converter on mine but it was a commercial paint/converter that's used on offshore rigs. The primer/converter took a few days to dry and the heavy brushed on coat of Massey Gray took nearly a week to harden up. I then scuffed it and put on a second heavy coat on top of that.
After all the sand blasting and welding I had to go through to revive this trailer, I want it to have every chance possible to survive.

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok guys, I did it...my trailer looks brand new with the rust oleum and additive. The gloss is soo nice that I have chosen not to add on the clear coat from rust oleum. A word of warning tho, when buying a brand new wire brush for your angle grinder, you may want to break it in on some concrete, my leg (in shorts) looked like a pin cushion. Thanks for all the advice....see ya!!!