trailer modifications

ssn756

Seaman
ea22c98a.jpg

I just got rid of a very old boat(22ft) on this trailer and have found a new boat. problem is the boat is a 1991 2655 Ciera sunbridge.

2a68712b.jpg

yes a little longer than the boat that was on there. the trailer is a "magic Tilt" the model # says WTTV-24-26.

56b829a3.jpg

My plan was to fix the boat and trailer before everyone in the boat restoration forum suggested I find another boat and I did. I you guys don't tell me I have to find another trailer.

My plan or I should say question is: Can I extend the trailer or will a 26 foot be safe? with modifying the trailer?

How do I know where to line up the bunks (height wise) to fit the new boat and also should I add more bunks to accomodate the wider ship? Here's pictures of the new project.

f97997e0.jpg

009d5d46.jpg

797ff16f.jpg

I also would move the winch about a foot forward.

Daleg70

Seaman
Re: trailer modifications

While the trailer might be adaptable, by the time you price out all the small hardware involved you might be close to finding another trailer.

Can you check actual new boat hull length --from transom to bow eye ---it may not be as long as the boat name indicates. transom should be very near end of boards. Check trailer weight carrying ability -- if 3500 lb axles you should be OK on the tandem ----

The set up of bunks is a very manual thing -- get them close by eye -- then adjust using jack to get a load under each support -- and not be on any lifting strakes and sit flat against the hull ---

With that weight --- assuming not much weight on those center rollers -- It will take tandem bunks -- 2x6 on each side -- four total --- so you will have some adapting there ---

If this trailer is to have a lot of weight on the center rollers -- then maybe a single bunk on each side works -- I have not used that type of trailer, so am not familiar with that type.

I have purchased many trailer parts from Champion Trailer Parts Supply through the years, good to work with, but there are also others.

I once did a similar project going from a 22 foot boat to a 24 foot boat and adapting the trailer. However I did this because my trailer was only one year old, so it make sense. Mine were all fairly simple adjustments.

ssn756

Seaman

I do plan on measuring, I hadn't thought of that. Also the trailer weight says 5100lbs, I may need to get new springs though as I don't know if I trust the ones on there although I haven't looked at them too closely.

to switch the bunks I 'll have to cut all that hardware off and get new brackets to set it up the way you're explaining. i hope I understand you right.

I will check out Champion right now.

I have to mention that I just came from the local "authroized magic tilt" dealer and of course he looked at my rig and immediately hacked it apart. from bunks to rollers to winch to........you get the idea. One really good suggestion was to eliminate the center rollers and do guide bunks. just a set of 2x4's set low.

thanks for the responce, I don't want to give up on the trailer i really feel i can bring it back to something.

thanks again.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Not a chance. Your new boat is going to need a trailer that has a capacity of at least 3 or 4 thousand pounds more than what your present trailer is rated for. Not even going to elaborate on the length problem.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

You're going to be moving that winch more than a foot forward which will require reconfiguring the forward frame rails. No your trailer doesn't weigh #5100 lbs, it's GVWR is clearly stated at #5600 lbs which means your trailer is probably #800 lbs which leaves #4600 for your boat. Those axles probably aren't #3500 lbs each with that weight rating of #5600. Once you start cutting on that trailer, all bets are off rating-wise. This is a bag of snakes here as your new boat dry is north of #4000 lbs plus gear and fuel, which is realistically closer to #5200 plus the trailer at #800 now you're at #6000. It appears that the trailer you have is in reasonable shape for a 22' that the old boat was, get a buck or two for it and get a proper trailer for your new boat with the difference.

ssn756

Seaman

Not a chance. Your new boat is going to need a trailer that has a capacity of at least 3 or 4 thousand pounds more than what your present trailer is rated for. Not even going to elaborate on the length problem.

bummer

what makes the trailer weight rating? is just the axles or is it the construction + axles?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

what makes the trailer weight rating? is just the axles or is it the construction + axles?
Yes to all. Plus tires.

My 24' boat sits on a 7000# GVW trailer and its a cuddy cabin. My empty weight for my boat is 4200#. I know NADA lists your empty weigh as 4300# but that seems way too light.

ssn756

Seaman

I hear yah, just a little defected over the whole thing. I finally find a boat but the trailer isn't worth a much to me either. the search begins. thanks.