Trailer light wiring: GM vs The Others?

Martin Leaney

Seaman
I have bought a new GMC Duramax to tow my boat and also my motorcycle trailer (Haulmark Enclosed). Both are new trailers with factory wiring but neither of the trailer's lights work properly with the factory wiring on the new truck!<br /><br />Are GM's different than Fords/Dodges? Any ideas?

DoctorCAD

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Trailer light wiring: GM vs The Others?

My new Ford (Mazda, really) works fine, shoulda bought a Ford! Thats gonna hurt.

Martin Leaney

Seaman

I might have bought a Ford but, not being a Doctor, I couldn't afford the expense of fixing it all the time! ;)

poolshark38759

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like a bad ground....<br /><br />could also possibly need a converter since new truck has the amber turn signals and trailers use a stop/turn light....

Martin Leaney

Seaman

FYI - I talked to a guy at a truck outfitting company and he says that all new vehicles should use the same wiring/pin outs for trailer wiring. Therefor if the trailer lights work with a new Dodge it should work with a new GMC or Ford etc.

orca1967

Cadet

Go to your dealer something is wrong. I bought a new GMC duramax also and had no troubles.

poolshark38759

Petty Officer 2nd Class

make sure the pins match on each side of plug....i had similar trouble and had the trailer plug upside down when i wired it...