Trailer ladder?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
As i descend into the murky world of old age and more year round boating/fishing I'm beginning to think more about ease of use. To that end I'm thinking about steps/ladder to get over the bow in an upright position. I'm also pretty sold on the auto latch, probably the Drotto.

I've been searching and seems like some are just over engineered, and expensive and some basic, still expensive. I'm resigned to that. What I'm after is anyone who has one, had one, or just knows more about them than me. What to think about before purchasing. Stuff like that.

thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
for a trailer mounted ladder? or a bow mounted ladder?

all for making a trailer mounted ladder. something a bit heavier than the RV ladders. 1-1/4" EMT and 1" EMT makes a good ladder for not a lot of money if you have a welder handy.

for a bow mounted ladder, that would be something else. need structure to mount a ladder to. most swim ladders only go down ~36" some may get a few more. a 6-rung is available (about a 5' drop).

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
no, but i got friends.

Started talking to Dennis this morning, he's going to stop by and have a B&B (burger and beer) and we'll talk.

Anyone out there have pics of what they have done?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Got a pic of your trailer and winch post? Will sketch over it

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah scott thats basically what I'm after, no bends - going steel to match the trailer. Plus a grab pole to steady me up. Me feets starting to quit me...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
That is just EVA foam on top of plates welded. You want to be 75 degrees or less

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice thing about converting a boat for diving, the ladder on the swim platform on my boats all reach the ground when on trailer.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah but thats on the stern. Im adding for launching to stay dry so...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I got this simple folding/adjustable step for mine. I climb up on the spare tire and use that to climb over the bow. Works fine for me so I can launch/retrieve by myself. Not as good as real steps but it's ok for now.

Attachments

• end of season 2019 #1.jpg
    end of season 2019 #1.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 17