Trailer Jack Rant...

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
This could easily go under trailer or stupid human tricks but since it is a rant I figured DC.<br /><br />Last fall on the last boat/camping trip I hitched the trailer to the back of the Truck camper and proceeded to load all the kids toys etc up. You know the story...Got distracted and left the trailer jack down. Yep bent the heck out of it. After Being mad at myself for several hours and giving myself heck for such a stupid screw up ( I hate tearing up equipment when it is my own stupidity) I got over it finally. Since it was the last outing before hunting takes over I parked the rig till spring.<br /><br />Well the Ice is giving up it's last lakes here and time to fix the jack...I go down and pick up a replacment jack of the same manufacture and weight rating and that SOB don't bolt up to the trailer. I call Fulton the manufacture a devision of Cequent trailer products and find that they make two models of the 1000 lb jack. One model is made for mass retail and runs $39.99, the other model is made so it dont bolt up and sold to trailer manufacture's. Her's the kicker the one that is sold to trailer manufacture's is not better just diffrent. The object of the excercise is when some sucker (me) leaves his jack down he must return to the Trailer manufacturer for the replacment at a cost of $69 + $15 s/h = $84<br /><br />$84 vs $39 Grrr...Guess you can pretty much surmise how I feel about Fulton Jack's on a boat trailer about right now.<br /><br />According to Don in the parts department this is done soley to allow Trailer Manufacturers residual income....How considerate of them!!!

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Trailer Jack Rant...

No different than Volvo or Mercury with replacement parts.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

They have a special plate welded to the trailer to recieve this specific jack. No other jack will bolt to this plate. Rest assured the $84 dollar jackwill not find a place on the trailer. Rather the $39 jack (Not Fulton)will be bolted to a new location leaving me with a usless mounting plate as an eysore and a reminder on the trailer .<br /><br />It just chaps my *** that they would do business this way.<br /><br />Matt, the S&H is what throws it to the local shop.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Maybe you can paint it candy stripe red. At least you get a few grins.