trailer hitch won't latch

searay4me

Seaman Apprentice
I have a serious problem. The trailer actuator won't latch closed on my trailer. It is the one with the brakes actuated by the pressure created when the boat and trailer push forward on the truck. It has a small handle that closes flat when locked but it won't go down. This is the closest to mine but it has a different handle that goes down

http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg..._id=217575&list_time=1153181913&view_id=38127

I tried pushing and pulling the trailer to get it to close but it won't. Any ideas on how to get this thing to work properly? Thanks in advance.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: trailer hitch won't latch

Betcha got a 2" ball and a 1-7/8" coupler.

searay4me

Seaman Apprentice

Nope, but I did learn that one the hard way. It is a 1-7/8 ball and coupler. The piece that comes up and holds the ball from the back doesn't seem to want to move. Tried a little help from a hammer but nothing changed.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

First, make sure the coupler is all the way down on the ball. Loosen the nut on the bottom. Its set up too tight and the moveable jaw can't close around the ball.

aggiedave98

Petty Officer 1st Class

make sure it's lubricated enough... I've had that problem w/ the coupler on our 25' church trailers...

Pony

Rear Admiral

Silvertip said:
First, make sure the coupler is all the way down on the ball. Loosen the nut on the bottom. Its set up too tight and the moveable jaw can't close around the ball.

Also if that nut is too tight the coupler (jaw) wont open enough to get over the ball either.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

Can you close it without the ball inside? If you can, then the problem is the placement of the ball.

Pull your tow car away from the trailer so that the ball is up front, not in the middle or rear of the coupler. I had this problem one time and it was just the position of the ball inside the coupler.

Did you a have this problem before?

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer

searay4me said:
I have a serious problem. The trailer actuator won't latch closed on my trailer. It is the one with the brakes actuated by the pressure created when the boat and trailer push forward on the truck. It has a small handle that closes flat when locked but it won't go down. This is the closest to mine but it has a different handle that goes down

http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg..._id=217575&list_time=1153181913&view_id=38127

I tried pushing and pulling the trailer to get it to close but it won't. Any ideas on how to get this thing to work properly? Thanks in advance.

I have a 2003 searay sundeck. I have also ran into that same problem with the hitch latch. pull the car forward so it moves the trailer a little bit. this will release the brakes.
As you press on your brake pedal in your auto. your trailer will slide forward alittle and this will activate the brakes. when you take off this will pull the hitch forward releaseing the brakes. So what you need to do is release the brakes.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Yup. pull up on the hitch as if you were trying to pull the trailer. This is a common problem. This will allow the clip to fully engage the ball and lthe lever will lock down.

STL Towman

Cadet

i have the same problem with my trailer if i crank the coupler down on the ball but if kinda drop it on the ball it lacthes no problems