Trailer Hitch in Front of Vehicle

Sponge Bob

Cadet
Does anybody here have a hitch on the front of their tow vehicle? I'm giving it some serious thought. Here's my problem...<br /><br />I trailer my boat each time I go out. (PITA!!) I park my boat in the back of my house, behind the shed. The alley that runs along there is narrow, and it's a little tight getting my 19' boat back in it's spot when my neighbor's truck is in it's space. Now my neighbor is really cool, and told me that he'd move his truck whenever I needed him to, but I'm getting tired of asking him, and I think he is too. :( I'm thinking that I'd be able to maneuver the boat/trailer into it's spot in less space with a hitch on the front. Does that sound right, or am I totaly off base?<br /><br />Thanks.

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Trailer Hitch in Front of Vehicle

byordy <br />Seaman <br />Member # 3761 <br /><br /> posted August 25, 2004 11:28 AM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />I have an '83 Dodge Ramcharger that I have towed with since '83 and it's still going strong. We've built a new home & hangar on an airpark, (Diamondhead, MS 66Y) and the space I have available to park the boat is adjacent to my hangar, very narrow, and the trailer must enter at an angle. Years ago there were bumper mount trailer hitches available that just clamped over the chrome bumpers that vehicles had in that era. I would like to find one of these to mount on the front bumper of the Ramcharger. This should make putting the boat away much easier, it's a struggle presently.<br />Anyone have any idea where I can locate a hitch like this?<br />Bill........ <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 50 | From: Diamondhead, MS. | Registered: Aug 2001 | IP: Logged | <br /> <br />JB <br />Ancient Mariner <br />Member # 1031 <br /><br /> posted August 25, 2004 12:28 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />I don't currently have a front hitch, Byordy, but plan to have one (a reciever) added to my bull bars up front (when I get the bull bars ).<br /><br />I haven't figured out a better way to have a solid mount.<br /><br />Good luck. <br /><br />--------------------<br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 12583 | From: The Hideout, Whitt, TX, USA | Registered: Mar 2001 | IP: Logged | <br /> <br />DJ <br />Fleet Admiral <br />Member # 5471 <br /><br /> posted August 25, 2004 01:49 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />JB,<br /><br />Be careful of the mounting. You have airbags in that SUV. I would get a reading on that from DCX.<br /><br />The mounting of anything upfront can cause unintended airbag deployment/inflation or, worse, the system to fail. I've seen front mounted accesories cause both. <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 8631 | Registered: Dec 2001 | IP: Logged | <br /> <br />Ed F <br />Petty Officer 1st Class <br />Member # 19928 <br /><br /> posted August 25, 2004 02:13 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Have you tried over at eBay?<br />Here's one that might fit. <br /><br />I Googled "Front Receiver Hitch Dodge" and came-up with quite a few sites.<br />Hitches Online <br />Northern Tool <br />4WheelParts <br />Hitches4Less <br />etrailer <br />Just to name a few!<br /><br />--------------------<br /><br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 211 | From: Chicago-NW 'burbs | Registered: Mar 2003 | IP: Logged | <br /> <br />DustyJacket <br />Seaman Apprentice <br />Member # 47424 <br /><br /> posted August 25, 2004 02:50 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Get a Drawtite that connects to the frame behind/below the front bumper. <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 31 | From: Lees Summit, MO | Registered: Aug 2004 | IP: Logged | <br /> <br />JB <br />Ancient Mariner <br />Member # 1031 <br /><br /> posted August 25, 2004 04:33 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Hmmmm. Hadn't thought of that, DJ. None of my F-types or Rangers had bags.<br /><br />Thanks! I sure would feel silly setting off all those bags just moving a trailer. <br /><br />--------------------<br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 12583 | From: The Hideout, Whitt, TX, USA | Registered: Mar 2001 | IP: Logged | <br /> <br />DJ <br />Fleet Admiral <br />Member # 5471 <br /><br /> posted August 25, 2004 05:29 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Not to mention your wallet would be several thousand $$$ lighter. <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 8631 | Registered: Dec 2001 | IP: Logged | <br /> <br />byordy <br />Seaman <br />Member # 3761 <br /><br /> posted August 25, 2004 07:24 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Thanks for the links. I have thought about a receiver on the front and it may come to that. I did a quick scan of the links and didn't see anything for an '83. Not surprising since the truck's 21 years old.<br />I'll continue looking and will probably install a front receiver immediately after backing the "old boat" into the side of the hangar.<br />Bill.... <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Posts: 50 | From: Diamondhead, MS. | Registered: Aug 2001 | IP: Logged | <br /> <br />xltier <br />Seaman <br />Member # 41728 <br /><br /> posted August 25, 2004 09:03 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />any good welding shop should be able to whip up something maybe even u can hang it on than take it off after use.

Sponge Bob

Cadet

I guess that answers the question I had and some I didn't think of. Thanks, Moderator1.

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got one on my dodge pickup, works great getting it alongside the house as long as I remember when I have the camper on.

sailor3X7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sponge Bob: I remember when I was growing up my dad had a front hitch on our truck. He thought it was the greatest thing ever. He really preferred using the front hitch to launch the boat too. <br />I have a very similar situation to yours. I have a "boat house" in back with a garage door facing the alley. It is narrow and I have to back as close as I can without tearing down the neighbor's fence. Then unhitch and roll it in by hand. (not easy since there is an incline.)My dad is trying to get me to put a front hitch on. But my tow vehicle is our conversion van and I don't know if I want to do that. I may put one on my son's F-150 for putting it back in the shop.<br />But I do think it is a good idea.

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Now why didn't I think of this one? I always park my boat in a metal building with 9 foot opening. A front mounted hitch would be awesome! Going to work on it tomorrow. 1991 F150 can't be hurt and it certainly won't set off my airbags.... none to be found. My truck is strictly a BRV. Not SUV. Boat Relocation Vehicle. Trailer machine!

Sponge Bob

Cadet

I'm in the process of looking for a receiver that will mount to my frame in the front. It's tough, all of them are made for the back end. I might have to get creative.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sponge Bob,<br /><br />Check out etrailer.com for a front mount hitch. They make it easy to find the proper fit front or rear mount hitch for your particular vehicle. I put a front mount hitch on my truck in about 45 minutes, it was a piece of cake. It also was the smartest thing I did as I can now park my boat on a dime (if I wanted to).

Sponge Bob

Cadet

Thanks, Juan. After I posted that reply, I saw the other thread about the Dodge front hitch. There are a few links in that thread also.<br /><br />It doesn't look like it'd be too hard at all. I just need to divert some of the boating fund toward the truck, and that's harder than it sounds. :)

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I have one on the front of my Jeep. My driveway is very narrow, and the street is narrow as well, so there is little room for error. The front hitch makes it very easy to get it in the first time.