Trailer Help - overhauling the whole trailer

cstickman

Cadet
I have a few questions. I am working on purchasing my own boat and it does not come with a trailer. So I purchased a real beat up one on CL, but for almost nothing since it will need a lot of work. I am going to pick it up on Tuesday evening and post pictures. Here is what I want to do with it. Right out of the gate it had no lights so I purchased led lights for it already. It is a double axle with shot brakes on both axles. It will need a good sanding since there is rust on it. So I would like to replace the tires, brakes, lights, winch and a few rollers that are crushed. My plan is to sand all the rust out and then put rust protection on it and give it to my brother who will paint it. So what kind of brakes will I need if I am going to re-do the whole trailer? I was just reading a post on here about electric and non electric brakes. I think I would like to explore the electric brakes. I am only going to use the trailer to put it in at the beginning of the season and to take it out for winter. The only concern is that I live in Chicago and the boat is located in VA so I am worried about the long trip home. I have also attached a picture of a part that it is missing and that I need to locate to attach to the trailer. So any help with where I can get the parts to do all of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• hitch.jpg
    hitch.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 0

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trailer Help - overhauling the whole trailer

if u do brakes do not use all electric use with electric over hydralic or surge brakes
electric brakes u will have to have a 7 pin harness and a brake controler in the tow vehical surge brakes work off the trailer pushing against the vechical during braking its what i have on mine and i love them

Bifflefan

Commander

There is nothing wrong with electric brakes, or hydo brakes for that matter. Its just what you like. I preferr electric as they are easy to maintain and i live where they use salt on the road and the brake lines always rust out. Ive never had any problem dunking them as they get wet when it rains anyway, nothing new there. I just take the drums off every spring, to make sure theres grease in the bearings and check for any stuck parts. Maybe even knnock the winter rust off the plate for the magnet and shoes, then they are good to go. as for the controler, there are alot of them. Mine has a digital readout in it so i can put a number to the braking force, but i also tow 3 different trailers.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

They make stainless steel brake lines so don't let rusty brake lines be a determining factor.

Personally, I would never put electric brakes on a boat trailer. It is only in the last few years that electric brakes have even started being mentioned as an option for boat trailers and the reason is cost...they are cheap. I would go with Kodiak disc brakes and be done with it. I have had drum brakes for 30 years and am sick of them working or partially working. Add an electric magnet and you have even more problems.

Splat

Lieutenant

6 of one, half dozen of another.

Personally I like electrics. They are adjustable from the truck, and can be activated separately from the tow vehicle in the even of an emergency.

Really is comes down to personal preference.

Also with a decent controller they will work in reverse going down a slippery ramp.

BIll

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class

i just replaced my entire drum system i have never used disc brakes so i have never tryed them but when i first got iit i pulled it with out the breaks working but i can now tell a major diference cause i dont feel like the truck is being pushed but go with disc

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have disc brakes with an electric/hydraulic controller so I have the best of both worlds... reliable hydraulic disc brakes that can be controlled form the cab of my truck. A little more expensive to go that route though.

Eshaw150

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have disc brakes with an electric/hydraulic controller so I have the best of both worlds... reliable hydraulic disc brakes that can be controlled form the cab of my truck. A little more expensive to go that route though.

thats the best way to go but if ur not going to be using it but 2 a year and not going be hauling it everyweekend

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

thats the best way to go but if ur not going to be using it but 2 a year and not going be hauling it everyweekend
Well...if he is going from Chicago to Virginia, that is over 800 miles each way. Not just a trip around the block. To each his own but I would have a good brake sytem on my trailer for that distance.