Trailer Frame Drain Holes

Hammer66

Cadet
Good Morning!
I recently purchased a used trailer for my inflatable. The trailer is in good shape but needed to be freshened up with a light coat of paint.
The frame is 2x3 tubing. The ends of the frame are welded shut. I will be using this trailer to haul and launch a 12.5' inflatable mostly in fresh water lakes. I will probably be launching in salt water one week a year.
My question is. Should I provide good drainage at the back of the frame (transom side of trailer) And be diligent with flushing out the frame after salt water exposure or should I weld the tubes closed and hope water doesn't have a way of getting in anywhere else.

Thanks in advance!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer Frame Drain Holes

Personally, I would never buy a welded steel trailer. Bare steel rusts. It doesn?t matter if it?s fresh or salt water. If water gets inside and is allowed to sit and rust, which it will, you have no idea of the extent of the damage until it fails.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

personally i wouldn't use any thing but a steel trailer.

as you have the trailer, some 1/4" drain holes at key points wouldn't be a bad idea. by not allowing the water to stand, you can midagate your rusting problem. you might get some surface rust but for steel to rust into, it needs to be covered in water for a long period of time

flushing and air drying after salt water is also a good idea. look for spots in the frame that can hold water and this is where you need to make your drain holes.

Hammer66

Cadet

Thanks jaxnjil!

Thats kind of what I figured. Although it appears watertight I wouldn't bet that it is 100% watertight. And if water can get in It's best to get it out and get it out as quickly as possible. My first choice would have been a galvanized rig but this being my first boat I didn't want to go crazy. I bought the boat as an experiment to see if the family enjoys boating. It appears they do so I am probably going to buy a bigger boat in a year or two. For now this set up is perfect.
Thanks again for your kind response.