Trailer button?

lmoreau

Seaman
On my Quicksilver throttle control, there is a button on the shaft marked 'trailer'. What does this do?

lmoreau

Seaman
Re: Trailer button?

It's got a separate tilt/trim switch..this is a squarish button. I've been too scared do push it!

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

It raises the engine up further than the trim button does, for trailering.

Moody Blue

Captain

Think of it as a coarse and fine control. The tilt/trim is used while underway to finely adjust the running angle of the boat while in the water. The motor can be tilted up or down as required. The trailer switch will raise the motor fully up to allow you to "trailer" the boat. A mercury switch mounted on the motor will prevent the motor from tilting up more than 20 degrees while in operation. No worry about the motor rising out of the water if you accidently hit the trailer button. Hope this helps.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> the trim switch,if not wired around, will only allow the trim to lift the motor to about 1/2" before the swivel housing leaves the transom bracket side supports. I have never seen a mercury switch used as a trim limit switch. the mercury switch,if used will kill the ignition at about 3/4 tilt to prevent engine run with the motor at or near full tilt position. the trim limit switch if used is a micro-switch type device. post your seriel number and we may be able to tell you more about it. most outboard trim systems wont allow it to trim off the trim pins when in gear and above about 2500 RPM. sometimes the switch is there cause merc outboards and mercrusiers share a common box and harness for many years. post some information about your motor. HP and seriel would be a good start.

lmoreau

Seaman

It's a 89 150 XR4. It does have some kind of limiter to it, cause I can trip up only to a certain point with the trim switch, when under power...I can't blow it out of the water..at idle i can, however.