Trailer Brakes

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys,

I have a 2003 Shorelandr dual axle trailer with brakes that my boat sits on. I installed Tekonsha Xplorer brake control in my vehicle. I calibrated the control but the trailer brakes are not engaging. The controller is set up correctly because when connected to trailer, the light turns green and when I press the brake (truck brake and control brake) the light changes to orange (as it should) but no brakes. If I disconnect the controller, the brakes lock up on the trailer in reverse, which tells me the brakes are working. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Don

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Trailer Brakes

What am I missing?

Ayuh,... It sounds like you've got Hyd. surge brakes on the trailer,+ are trying to control 'em with an Electric Brake controller...
That would be 2 very different systems that don't work together...

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Seriously? Do I disconnect the controller and run a wire from the brake light wire to the trailer to operate the trailer brakes or straight from the battery? Ugghh..... Anyone need a VERY lightly used controller, lolol...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... IF you have surge brakes, the only power necessary is to the back up solenoid to keep the brakes Off while you back up...
That wire would come from the back up lights of the tow unit...

Surge brakes are actuated by the trailer pushing on the tow unit,... Momentum..

Post a picture of the trailer coupler so We'll know just What ya got...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You have surge brakes!!!!

You don't need a controller!!!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Are there any Wires on it,... Say 1 lonely electrical wire maybe,..??

If so,... A 5 wire connector, with the 5th wire to the back up lights, is what you need to activate the reverse solenoid...
You'll be Good to Go...

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you for the info, I just hated that I wasted 100 bucks on a controller. Yes, just a 5 wire connector. Should have asked first. Oh well......

Bondo

Staff member

Should have asked first.

Ayuh,... Sell the controller to a friend with a travel trailer, or camper trailer,...
Those types of wagons are more apt to have Electric brakes...