Trailer blowing fuse

Anybody know why my boat trailer is blowing the running lights fuse on my truck? Everthing else works fine. Turn signals brake lights, just no running lights. It blows the running light fuse as soon as I plug it in. Bad wiring harness, sorted out wire?

Re: Trailer blowing fuse

Most probably a short in the parking/running circuit. Check around where the wire rubs or comes in contact with the trailer. It may somehow be pinched and shorting the circuit out.<br /><br />Also, make sure that the wiring harness from the trailer is wired correctly for your vehicles pigtail.

All looks like everything matches up. But the colo of the wires do change color after coming out of plug on trailer. it is wraped up in electrical tape. Does anybody know what the colors macth to. I.E. brown Green Yellow

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

The standard is<br />Green=Right<br />Yellow=Left<br />Brown or Red=tail

Thanks deej I may have to rewire if I can not figure this out. How hard is it to do while the boat is on the tralier?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Remove the bulbs and then see if it still blows the fuse. If it doesn't one of the dual filament bulbs has dropped a running light filament and created a short inside the bulb. Make sure the bulbs are inserted properly. They are keyed to go in only one way except the sockets are made so sloppy that the bulbs can be forced in incorrectly. If the fuse blows without the bulbs, there is indeed a wiring problem or the tail light assembly on one side or the other is bad.

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can completely rewire trailer with boat on. You can get trailer re-wiring harness at Wally World or most auto parts stores. Might save u a lot of troubleshooting time and u end up with new wires :) (That is after u ruled out shorted bulbs)

I will have to check my bulbs because I know some are broken and some are not there. except tail lights and brake lights those are all alright.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you have missing or damaged marker lights, start the troubleshooting process there as they operate from the tail light circuit.

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

had an old boat had the same problem.i just pulling out old wiring found burned wiring up in the tounge area.sure glad i did that.much easier because i tried for 2 days to find a short. good luck

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's pretty obvious you have a short, maybe from one of the usual causes; chafing from road vibration, rust or galvanic corrosion OR mice chomping on the wire insulation. For $15 I'd re-wire if the trailer is more than 10-12 years old. You can completely re-wire, new lights and all for $35.