Trailer bearing frustration

andrewss

Seaman Apprentice
I’m having an issue with the right side hub seal. If I install the lip seal flush with the hub I can barely get the castle nut on far enough to get the cotter in. I then chewed through the seal and I guess the hub isn’t on the spindle far enough so I get a slight wheel wobble.

I can pretty easily tap the seal deeper into the hub by about 1/16”, which allows me to get the castle nut on another rotation and clear the cotter hole nicely.

Problem is I just need to be sure not to push the seal against the inner bearing or it rubs/is tight… and I thought the hub and seal were supposed to be flush??

Should I just be finding a balance of how deep I tap the seal? I guess I could install the hub with the bearings but without a seal and see where the castle nut should be for proper fitment on the spindle.

The left side of the axle has no issues. Seal is flush with the hub and I’ve never had a problem.

rustybronco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd start by measuring and comparing to what is on the left side.

Bearing race depths, seal dimensions etc.

I had a 1982 bronco that kept engaging the auto-lock hub on one side. It ended up being the snap ring groove was machined at the incorrect depth. Replaced the offending hub and never had any more problems.

What is the history of the trailer? Any known hub replacement?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Let's be clear. The grease seal keeps grease in the hub, and the bearing clean and dry. The bearings and races keep the hub on the axle. If you mess up the seal, the bearings can get wet or dirty. It could cause some wear on them, but you will be safe towing it, at least for a while. If you mess up the bearings and race, the wheel falls off or worse.

Remove the grease seal, get the bearing and race correct and installed properly on the axle then see what can be done to install the seal.

Remember you must install the hub, tighten the nut with a wrench while spinning the hub. Now loosen the nut without moving the hub and finger tighten the nut. Check the hub for play. Ideally, she should turn with almost no resistance and not have any wobble.

Now see what space you have for the seal. If you bought the correct bearing set and seal, it should fit properly. I have never seen a bearing set or hub that was machined improperly, sorry Rusty.

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Are the spindles attached to a fixed axle or are they torsion axles?

Has to be a bearing / bearing race mismatch or the wrong hub, or both..

Compare everything to the other one that is correct. That should solve the problem, or at least give an indication of where the problem lies.

Only fly in the ointment would be that the axle stub was replaced at some point and then all bets are off.

andrewss

Seaman Apprentice
Oh man, I fall somewhere between ordering the right part but being sent the wrong, and also a stupid human being for not checking. The kits I ordered off Amazon last year sent me bearing kits with a 1.25x1.98 but the item description said 1.5x1.98. So the 1.25 wasn’t sitting on its spindle bore. The guy I bought the boat from had an extra seal that was the correct size so that’s what I guess went on the right side hub and why it was fine.

New proper size seal on now with new bearing and all is perfect. Good lord 😞

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Glad you got it all worked out. Anyone that says everything is always perfect speak with forked tongue.