Trailer Axle Wear Sleeve Alternatives?

IDFISHER

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got some grooves and pitting on my axle where the lip of my grease seal is riding and it's chewing up my seals in no time. I found the Speedi-Sleeves that fit my trailer but they're $72/each. Does anyone have a less expensive alternative?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a replacement spindle is about $35. however you have to have appropriate fabrication equipment.

however you may want to look around. plenty of options in the $10 range

IDFISHER

Petty Officer 2nd Class
a replacement spindle is about $35. however you have to have appropriate fabrication equipment.

however you may want to look around. plenty of options in the $10 range

Thank you. This is for a small utility trailer with a 1.5" spindle and I'm having a heck of a time finding any alternates to the speedi-sleeve part# 99149. I was able to find them for cheaper ($30) on a couple other sites but still the $10 would be nice.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thank you. This is for a small utility trailer with a 1.5" spindle and I'm having a heck of a time finding any alternates to the speedi-sleeve part# 99149. I was able to find them for cheaper ($30) on a couple other sites but still the $10 would be nice.
What size are your bearings and seals?

Look specifically at trailer specific sites

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Read the small print on the spindle sleeves.
Bought one when I went through this process a couple years back.

The sleeve I purchased required a seal different from IE supply. Still sitting in the junk box in the garage.

I'm having a heck of a time finding any alternates to the speedi-sleeve part# 99149.
99149 is the industry sleeve size
Google…. Wear seal 99149
Here is one for $23

IDFISHER

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Read the small print on the spindle sleeves.
Bought one when I went through this process a couple years back.

The sleeve I purchased required a seal different from IE supply. Still sitting in the junk box in the garage.

99149 is the industry sleeve size
Google…. Wear seal 99149
Here is one for $23

Thank you. Now, i wish they made an installation tool that was longer than an inch....sheesh. I suppose a scrap piece of pipe with the right dimensions would do the trick.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thank you. Now, i wish they made an installation tool that was longer than an inch....sheesh. I suppose a scrap piece of pipe with the right dimensions would do the trick.
Heat up the speedy sleeve with a torch or heat gun to about 500 and slip on

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
A piece of 1.5” pvc fit mine almost perfectly.

Here is a pretty ingenious hack.

You’ll need #2 permatex (non-hardening) as a sealer

IDFISHER

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A piece of 1.5” pvc fit mine almost perfectly.

Here is a pretty ingenious hack.

You’ll need #2 permatex (non-hardening) as a sealer
That's great, thank you guys!

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
With your part number, check with rockauto.com. $23 plus shipping. And the permatex aviation sealer is what I used as well.
to install it, I found an exhaust pipe transition piece that fit the sleeve perfectly for $5 at oreilys auto parts. Plumbing pipes were either too big or too small. Use what works

Attachments

• F52BD36A-D5F5-4AB3-A696-3BF8EE807BE0.jpeg
    F52BD36A-D5F5-4AB3-A696-3BF8EE807BE0.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 4