tragedy/ but lessons to be learned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: tragedy/ but lessons to be learned!

I still dont understand how this could happen.<br /><br />Boat in current, line is tight, how do you get tangled in it?<br /><br />Why couldnt they cut the rope below the tangle?<br /><br />Why couldnt you start the boat and rip the anchor out of the ground after it got tangled. Sure you might hurt his leg, but better to lose the leg than a life.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea me neither.<br />An anchor is not worth all that much anyway.<br />Put a buoy on it and cut the line.<br />Bad decision on someone's part for sure.

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree, but I'm sure we don't have all the facts. It seems to me that if you could cut the line above the leg, you could cut it below as well.

Link

Rear Admiral

I just knew this was going to be a river sled story where someone anchores in too fast a current without enough line out. That can take a boat under in seconds but this I just dont know. <br />Guess we just dont know all the facts.

PW2

Commander

Yep, not much of this story makes much sense. What are they doing diving (or snorkelling) out of an anchored boat in 4-5 knot current? That's quick way to get lost at sea.<br /><br />And you would have to work pretty hard even to get a loop in an anchor line in that kind of current against that size of boat--let alone get trapped in it.<br /><br />I am not sure what lessons are to be learned from this, aside from the notion that if you work hard enough doing stupid things, you too can drown.

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know that point of land and jetty. Been there many times. There is nothing to see there. No real reason to snorkle. The tide rips through there. Not realy safe to snorkle there. Lots of people fishing there = lots of lines and hooks in the water. The water is only 10 feet deep. Why not dive down and cut the rope at the anchor? I don't get the whole story either??? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.