TRADING IN MY BOAT

UBC

Recruit
I AM THINKING OF TRADING IN MY BOAT FOR A NEW BOAT.HOW DO I FIND OUT WHAT IS A FAIR PRICE I CAN EXPECT FROM A DEALER. THE NADA GIVES RETAIL PRICES, SO WHAT KIND OF PRICE CAN I EXPECT FOM THE DEALER?

Skinnywater

Commander
Re: TRADING IN MY BOAT

Why not sell it yourself to a private party for retail, instead of wholesale to a dealer?

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

yup, you'll get a better price selling it yourself. The dealer will offer considerably less.<br /><br />EDIT: Turn off your caps lock.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

If I was going to replace my boat, I'd find out what the dealer will give me in trade, then see what individuals are asking for the same boat on the used market. Average the two figures, then advertise it at that figure. I'd bet you'll sell it within two weeks, if not a single weekend, and you'll get more than the dealer would allow in trade.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

NADAguides.com<br />this should give you the info you're looking for...sl

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Boats.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As in the auto world, it is always best to separate the buying and selling transactions. If not, you are just giving the dealer an option of appearing to give you a great buy on a new boat by giving you an equally low price for your old boat. <br />(or giving you a great price for your old boat and then not coming down on the new boat like he normally might).<br /><br />At the very least, keep your old boat out of the picture, negotiate the best price you can on the new one, and only then ask what they will give you for your old boat.<br /><br />Even then, as the previous post suggest, it is highly unlikely a dealer in those circumstances is going to give you anything near what you can get in a private sale. Using the dealer is convenient - one stop for both transactions - but you pay a lot for that convenience.