Tracker Pro Guide SC175 in saltwater

cretus

Seaman
I recently picked up a new tracker and was told that it would be fine in saltwater by the Bass Pro salesman. Now I'm hearing from others that its not a good idea. I'm confused now and a little angry due to the fact that I unloaded so much money and cant get a straight answer anywhere on the issue. I even called the Bass Pro in Destin Florida and they said thats what they sell them for. I have the black painted trailer with galvashield on it and know it wont last as long as a galvanized trailer, but I figure it'll last at least 5 years with only putting in saltwater once a year. And the trailers only got a replacement cost of $1100.00 so I'm not to concerned with it. I am however worried about the boat. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Tracker Pro Guide SC175 in saltwater

There is NO difference between a fresh water and a salt water boat. Boat builders and engine designers (aside from giant yachts) don't make that distinction. Trailerable boats are meant to be used in either, including tanic, brackish, or whatever lies in between. Don't listen to the people that tell you that as soon as you put your boat in salt water that it will never be the same.

After boating is salt water, simply make sure that you hook it to the muffs within a reasonable amount of time (less than 12 hours or so) and run the engine until it gets to operating temp. Once the thermostat opens and the engine is completely flushed, you're fine. Some people go a bit further and install a salt away system or equivelent...which is fine...but it's not necessary.

Look at it this way...how many boats around the world sit in salt water all day, every day , and have not died an immediate death? There is a bit more maintenance with a purely salt water boat, but not that much. Rinsing the trailer and flushing the engine are the biggest points. The third would be washing any salt residue from your fishing gear.

Take your boat out, have a great time, and clean it up when you get home.

cretus

Seaman

Thanks. That was what I was thinking, but was getting nervous because of all the comments made about aluminum in saltwater. I kept coming back to the same place and asked, "If aluminum cant hold up to salt water why are all the pontoons in the bay still floating?"

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

It's fine, whoever is telling you otherwise is wrong. There are so many of those and boats like those that are only used in salt water. Throw in all the toons, commercial boats and yachts.

Just clean it, something you should do anyway.

Stop stressin and start fishin!

This is an aluminum boat operated by NOAA and located in Key Largo, FL. You can't get much more salt water than that. If someone tells you you can't use an aluminum is salt, show them this picture.

Truth is...this thing is a beauty and sits in the water!

alum.jpg

cretus

Seaman

Thanks guys. Hopefully she'll have a little cobia slime on her in a month.

Capt. tony M

Recruit

This is an aluminum boat operated by NOAA and located in Key Largo, FL. You can't get much more salt water than that. If someone tells you you can't use an aluminum is salt, show them this picture.

Truth is...this thing is a beauty and sits in the water!

View attachment 140836

Also NOAA has a lot of Weather reporting bouys in the ocean the are made of aluminium or said components and if it is a problem why would they do that.. I have a good friend that owns tracker boats and has owned them for years and he uses them 90% of the time in salt and brackish water with no problems he buys a new one every 7 yrs or so and gives the old ones to his buddies and I got one from him that I had for 3 years after he gave it to me with no problems.. and yes he is a very genourous friend...lol

Tony

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

while hulls and motors don't matter salt or fresh, there can be a difference in fittings. Bass boats are notorious for having fittings that can't handle salt. Personally, I call that substandard.

I have accidentally bought fresh water fishing tackle, to have it end up green or brown in no time; there's a difference there, too. Same goes for tools, electronics and other gear you might use on the boat. There's a real game in determining when you need to pay extra for something labelled "marine" and when it's just a gimmick.

"while hulls and motors don't matter salt or fresh, there can be a difference in fittings."

Really good point Home Cookin'. Dunno, but I would think the innards would be a bit different in an offshore rig compared to a Bass Tracker, although as Capt tony said, "I have a good friend that owns tracker boats and has owned them for years and he uses them 90% of the time in salt and brackish water with no problems..." That's true. My Tracker was used in salt and fresh without issues. There is a difference in salt and fresh kept boats...no doubt, but both need maintenance. Salt will need more...been there, done that.