Tracker Mechanical Steering

cretus

Seaman
I've got a 2012 Tracker sc175 and I'm trying to figure out a way to lock the steering to keep the motor from laying on one side when hauling the boat. My transom saver fell out on the way to the lake this weekend and the new will not work unless the motor is straight. This is probably one of the reasons the old one came out. Any advise or info on a product would be greatly appreciated.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Tracker Mechanical Steering

A nice heavy bungee cord around it at the saver should do it just fine

cretus

Seaman

A nice heavy bungee cord around it at the saver should do it just fine

Yeah The new saver has a heavy bungee, have a hard time getting it around the foot. The Motor still wants to roll over.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What type of transom saver did you lose, cretus? How high are you tilting the motor? The type I have I can't turn the wheel but a wee bit, so the TS locks the steering.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

You can also bungee the steering wheel.

cretus

Seaman

What type of transom saver did you lose, cretus? How high are you tilting the motor? The type I have I can't turn the wheel but a wee bit, so the TS locks the steering.

The one I lost was a cheap rubber one, the new one is not much better, but is an attwood from Walmart.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

The cheap rubber ones can't handle much weight and will split after just a few trips under an outboard of any size. My guess is this is why you lost the last one and the flopping motor is actually the symptom and not the cause. I'd suggest getting a better transom saver, AKA motor deflopperizer, and seeing whether that resolves your issue.

cretus

Seaman

I guess I'll have to look for a better one. Havent tried this Attwood on the road yet. I wasnt aware that the saver actually was what kept the motor from laying to one side. I'll give this one the benifit of the doubt and if it fails I'll return it and get one that grips the foot better. Thanks for the info guys.