tracert question

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How do I keep the little window up when I am in tracert mode?<br />When mine gets done, it closes by itself.

eeboater

Commander
Re: tracert question

SBN <br /><br />Click Start > Run<br />Type CMD<br />Hit enter<br /><br />A console window will appear.<br /><br />Do your tracert command like you would normally do:<br /><br />tracert www.yahoo.com<br /><br />All set!! ;) <br /><br />Sean

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

I did that out of curiosity.<br /><br />What does that do? Trace the IP addressed from your PC to the server of the hosted domain?<br /><br />What benefits does it have?

KaGee

Admiral

Moving.... "technical, Non-boat topic".<br /><br /> :D :D :D

eeboater

Commander

Every "hop" that a tracert takes is a different router that your "packet" is travelling to to get to its destination.<br /><br />As you may already know when you open a website, it is located on a different computer somewhere in the world. And unless the server that is housed in the same network as your computer, it is going to have to locate the computer.<br /><br />Similar to a car travelling through a neighborhood, your request bounces through the huge network across the world until it gets to its destination, the web server housing the website you requested.<br /><br />I use it a lot when troubleshooting connections between my branch offices and my main office. As an example, I have users in Kansas who connect to my Wisconsin office. If a router in say, Chicago, is having connectivity issues or is just crap it could cause huge delays as it passes information onto the next router.<br /><br />So, my users in Kansas might be complaining of slowness. While their internet connection is running spectacularly, its possible that a router somewhere between KS and WI is causing the lag and slowness.<br /><br />Sean

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Learn something everyday.<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />If I were sitting on a dockside, I would chat about this, even though it is technical, not-boat topic. :p

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, what KaGee said :)