toyota tundra

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class
anyone with experience towing with this truck.

having a hard time finding out it's towing cap.

maybe looking to replace my chev 2500 (don't know why, but I like new trucks)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: toyota tundra

It's listed on their web site. The numbers below are for standard bed.
4.0 V6 = 5000#
4.7 V8 = 8500#
5.7 V8 = 10,800#

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My Son in Law had one of the early Tundras. . .extra Cab, V8, 4X4. Loaded with goodies and bling. I think it was rated to tow 7,000lb.

He towed his '97 Boston Whaler Outrage 17 (somewhere around 3500lb) with it and it seemed unaffected by the load.

Very, very nice truck and great tow vehicle. Quiet and comfortable.

He bought a 5th wheel so he upgraded to a F350 Diesel duallie, but he still talks about his Tundra.

Personally, I would prefer a blinged out F250 Diesel if I were gonna have a pickup.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

tash your about the same wieght and size as what I would be towing. I like my chev, and I don't want anything less (power and control).

Just a little worried about the toyota, but I'm quite interested.

Let me know more if you have any other info.

Spud

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I will start this by saying I have no experience nor do I know anyone with a Tundra. But I do have experience with other imports and the example I am about to describe involves a Honda Ridgeline. Nice vehicle, but it, and I suspect other imports, have similar characteristics. That characteristic involves "where" in the power band their power and torque are developed. Imports develop power/torque at typically higher rpm than the push-rod american trucks. And this is becoming true with american iron as well as they are gradually going to overhead cams. In my example, an S10 crew cab (4.3 V6 190 HP/250# torque) and a Ridgeline (255? HP/Torque??) both towing similar loads on a long road trip. The S10 towed in overdrive at well under 2400-2500 RPM and got 17 MPG on that trip. The Honda owner complained the entire trip because the tranny would not stay in overdrive, and continually hunted with OD locked out. The engine was always over 4000 RPM and netted only 14 MPG. A full size truck with a push rod motor will get that mileage. My point is simply before you spend the money, hook your boat to it and see how it actually performs. When you get into the 4000# and up range, you better know that what you buy you will be happy with. Axle ratio is key and it takes a lot of horsepower to make up for a poor choice in that regard. There isn't anything more frustrating than having a tow vehicle that won't tow or that is a gas hog in the process. There is always a compromise.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Silvertip said:
I will start this by saying I have no experience nor do I know anyone with a Tundra. But I do have experience with other imports and the example I am about to describe involves a Honda Ridgeline. Nice vehicle, but it, and I suspect other imports, have similar characteristics. That characteristic involves "where" in the power band their power and torque are developed. Imports develop power/torque at typically higher rpm than the push-rod american trucks.

Other imports can't be so easily grouped with the Toyota Tundra truck. Which torque numbers look better to you?
Chevy 5.3 motor 338 @ 4400
Dodge 5.7 motor 375@4200
Ford 5.4 motor 365 @ 3750
Toyota 5.7 motor 401 @ 3600

tommays

Admiral

The Ridgeline is a bad example and is really is not a Truck

Love it or hate it the new Toyota is in the same class as the other trucks

Tommays

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Major said:
Other imports can't be so easily grouped with the Toyota Tundra truck. Which torque numbers look better to you?
Dodge 5.7 motor 375@4200

Just curious, where's the Titan fit here?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I was not comparing the two. Its overhead cam technology vs pushrod I was comparing. OHC motors tend to make their power higher in the rpm band. In the case of the Honda, max torque is at 4000 RPM+. This certainly doesn't hurt the engine but it hurts the wallet since high RPM results in poor fuel economy. Variable valve timing helps but is not the total solution either. All I'm indicating is when contemplating a tow vehcile for heavy loads, you better do research carefully. If fuel economy is not an issue and you tow light loads, then it's a moot point. A wrong power plant selection coupled with a wrong axle ratio selection will make a poor tow vehicle and down the road will likely cost you tranny work as well. The last thing you want is a "busy" transmission when towing a heavy load.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Agree, Silvertip.

Wouldn't it be nice if all tow vehicles had CDI turbo diesels?

bucky7680

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spud I've been looking for a new 1/2 ton p/u to pull my 20' Regal (5000#). I looked at the "New Tundra" this weekend and this is what I found out. The 5.7 L V8 is not out yet. They are having problems at the American engine assembly plant. The trucks now at the dealerships have Japanise engines. The biggest problem I had with them is the lousy gas mileage that they claim 19 mpg or 16 mpg in the real world. Also because they are "new" they are not offering any deals it's full list price or more. I liked the idea of a 6 speed automatic trans.
I also looked at the new style Chevys. With the 5.3 L you can pull about 7000#. Listed mpg was 22 Hwy. But again because this is a new style and they have a lot of 2007 (classic) trucks they wanted full list price. The only thing they offered was 0% for 36 months.
I"m going to wait for 2 months and see what the deals are. I have a F350 diesel to pull the big stuff I just need a new daily driver

I have a 2005 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 with the 4.7L and I pull a 18' Four Winns (3500#). I drive about 50 miles to get the the lake and a lot of the drive is curvy and hilly two lane roads. This truck tows my boat very well and you can hardly tell anything is back there. Also, the passengers are all comfortable as this truck has one of the largest back seats and plenty of leg room.

I have not seen the new Tundras yet, but I have a family member who does workmans comp. claims at the Tundra plant in Indiana. She has said that the number of lifting related injuries has tripled as the new Tundra parts are so much heavier than the old ones. This confirms all of those adds you see on TV about the Tundra parts being larger than the average truck. I am sure this is going to take its toll on mpg though.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I go back to my comment on "busy transmissions". Manufacturers are now installing six, seven, and even eight speed automatic transmissions. On most of those the top two gears are overdriven which when towing heavy loads should not be used anyway,. Each time there is a shift (up or down), there is momentary slippage. That translates to heat and wear. Until I see some of these trannys with 150,000 miles worth of heavy towing, I will remain a skeptic. Manufacturers are doing this primarily because its necessary to keep the OHC engine its power band (re: the torque/HP disussion above). If more gears is good, they should be looking a very heavy duty CVTs.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mischief said:
Major said:
Dodge 5.7 motor 375@4200

Just curious, where's the Titan fit here?

Nissan Titan is 385 @ 3600

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

bucky7680 said:
Spud I've been looking for a new 1/2 ton p/u to pull my 20' Regal (5000#). I looked at the "New Tundra" this weekend and this is what I found out. The 5.7 L V8 is not out yet.

I test drove the 5.7 last weekend, very nice and powerfull. The dealer wants MSRP, going to wait until the dealers come down with the asking price.

MSRP: $ 35,938
Stock#: 8489
Vin#: 5TBBV54147S453029
Type: 4 door Truck Fullsize Crew Cab
Ext. Color: Radiant Red
Int. Color: Gray Interior
Engine: V-8cyl 5.7L

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I wish there was an easy to plop in all of the information I have, such as torque curves for various engines and how to read them. So -- we will just spoon feed it. Before I do that I want to make it perfectly clear (didn't someone else say that some years back 8) ) that I am not knocking Toyota. We are simply discussing two ways to build and power a tow vehicle. I'm only pointing out that those who buy tow vehicles need to understand what the numbers mean in the real world. Lets start with the transmission. 6th gear in the Tundra is .588 overdive and 5th is .728 overdrive. The rear axle ratio is 4.10:1. Standard tires are 275/65-18 which have a circumference that results in 629 RPM/mile. I'll let you do the math but those numbers result in 1521 Engine RPM in 6th gear at 60 MPH. 1880 RPM in 5th and 2578 in 4th which is direct drive. It is generally accepted that an engines sweet spot is where horsepower and torque cross and that is especially true when towing. If you look at Toyota graph, that point is a very lofty 5500. I doubt you will be cruising at that rpm very often. Keep in mind we are talking "towing" here. And we are talking towing at something over 5000# up to its maximum tow rating. If you are not doing that, then you either have the wrong vehicle or you have it just because you want it and everything else just doesn't matter. At those loadings, 5th and 6th gear will be useless as the torque converter will be constantly unlocking and two downshifts will occur before getting to direct drive which is 4th gear. In my next post I'll show a graph for the what is essentially the venerable GM 5.7 which started life in 1955 as a 265 CI engine and has seen a gazillion displacement combinations over the years.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Dang it -- I forgot to add the Toyota graph. Here it is.
ToyotaTorque.jpg