Toy water rifle.

ob

Admiral
Any of you fellers know where a guy can get a toy water rifle? The ones that have like a quart volume water tank,that I think you pump up before shooting. I can't seem to find the ones I'm use to seeing at the Mart stores.Matter of fact ,the ones they do have don't even resemble a gun at all.Some take batteries ,and from appearance ,don't look to be capable of what I'm looking to do with it.<br /><br />Reason I'm wanting one is that we had a brainstorm about using one with some premix insect poison to reach the top of some oak trees in the yard.The conventional water fed sprayers just won't quite reach the top from the ground,and as I recall those water rifles shot a decent stream about 50 ft.<br /><br />Priced some 12 volt units at the farm stores ,but they were entry level at $119.Just a bit more than we wanted to go as we really just need something to reach the uppermost branches and can use the conventional one for the rest.I would also like to prevent having to climb in the trees to reach the limbs with a conventional water fed sprayer.Thanks .

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Toy water rifle.

Really hard to find one that resembles a real gun anymore, OB.<br /><br />Cops are getting really paranoid about anything that looks like a gun. . .might blow you away! :eek:

ob

Admiral

Heck ,I'd use one that looked like a submarine if I knew it would do the job.Good point though,as luck would have it,I never had a use for one when they were sold at every corner store.Maybe I could just get a permit and shoot the worms with a real gun. :D <br /><br />I'm also open to other tight wad ideas. ;)

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

try toys r us or target. Get the super soaker

ob

Admiral

I'll give it a whirl ,eurolarva.Thanks for the tip.

Stratosfied

Ensign

OB, I use a Ortho Hose End Sprayer ($12.00). It has a fan diffuser that you take off and it will spray about 50' with enough water pressure. I came across this when my pump-up sprayer quit on me and I needed to bleach my house. It works well for me and you can adjust the chemical feed rate with the dial on the unit. Just a suggestion.

ob

Admiral

I'll look into one of those as well Stratosfied.Looks like you and me are afflicted with the same thing.I just finished doing some mildew control on the brick and the comp shingles.That's the price you pay for living in a region of 90% + daily humidity.I've got a hose sprayer that won't reach 50' with the fan attachment removed but it's not an Ortho.Appreciate the tip.

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tell me what day you are going to put a quart of poison in the air in Texas. I will stay in Florida that day. :D :D Seriously, Pick a calm day!!!

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh yea, When you are done with the task at hand, destroy the toy gun so no kids try to play with it!!

ob

Admiral

If I end up having to use the plastic gun method it will be kept along with my other gardening pesticides in a garage cabinet.No kiddos around my place.However,that is a good piece of advice .<br /><br />I don't spray poison in the wind if I can help it.Wind blows almost 24/7 here in Corpus.Also the spray I use is effective to kill insects ,not humans.Insect control in south Texas is a vital part of landscape maintenance.Down here,fire ants pose a far greater risk to children.However,all pesticides should be stored out of reach and handled responsibly.

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

ob,<br />Another concideration is the possible reaction of the plastics in the water gun to the pesticides you might be using. Things may swell up and other things may break down.

ob

Admiral

trblshtr,Thanks for the heads up on the plastic maybe reacting.I don't think it will be a problem in my case.<br /><br />Keelhauled,I lookedat those at the local pool supply house and while they will shoot far ,they discharge most of the water through a 1/4" + hole in more of a short burst to get it to the height I'm trying to reach.I'm fixing to see if I can find one of those super soaker jobbers mentioned above.If I can't find one I may just see if the Ortho brand sprayer also mentioned above will do the trick.I'll post the results of my findings,not that it's a big deal or anything.<br /><br />I truly appreciate all of the input from everyone.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

howdy ob,<br />being somewhat of an expert on "super soakers"<br />and such, won't be an effective method IMO.<br />they get extra power by reducing the stream.<br />at 50' you might as well aim blind...<br />upstate farmers smoke out pests, but it's leagal<br />to burn whatever out here (no risk of fire spread)<br />what kinda critters we talkin bout?

ob

Admiral

M Y ,Went ahead and bought a Ortho tree sprayer .It worked fairly well and shot higher than the one I had.We're getting an earlier than normal crop of oak worms this year and all of the trees have mostly new leaf growth which is what they primarily feed on.These little buggers usually show up mostly in the fall and feed on just the new growth tips which usually isn't much.Some of the live oaks in town are almost stripped bare already and we were wanting to get a head start on control before they got out of hand.<br /><br />Extension agent says that these "oak worms" ,for lack of the proper term,are the larval stage of a tussock moth.The worms begin very small and grow to around 2 1/2" and get as big around as a pencil.Easy to kill ,just hard to reach.<br /><br />Thanks for the interest.