Towing XL700 on the water

nova10502

Recruit
Whats the chance I killed the engine?
Had to tow my Yamaha XL700 about 4 miles in the bay , I was told a good amount of water might have went into engine
How can I tell if I'm screwed or not

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Towing XL700 on the water

why would water have gotten into the engine because of towing it?

nova10502

Recruit

I was told that it works as if the water from the bay as a result of towing at about 15mph is flushing the engine but with the engine not running so damage w\to engine would happen

haulnazz15

Captain

Seriously doubt it. Shouldn't be towing it that fast anyway, but that's because the front eyelets aren't meant for lots of stress. The water isn't likely to enter the engine unless the impeller is turning. Doubtful that 15mph has enough force to turn over the engine.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

well truth be told if the impeller is just in the correct place towing over an idle can force water up the cooling hose and flood the engine,, so remove your plugs crank over the engine and pump the water out,, then pour a few ounces of auto trans fluid in each carb and in each plug hole,, that will mix with the water,, and lube the rings etc,, use a old towel to reduce the mess and crank all the out it will turn pepto bismol pink when it mixes with water,, but it will get it out,, then use some starting fluid in the cylinders finger tighten the plugs, keep cranking it over, removing the plugs clean them with the starting fluid and repeat till it starts to try and run,, then it will gradually run and smoke like hell, but eventually it will run and you should run it on the hose a while to warm up the engine and drive out all the moisture.