towing with a jeep wrangler

bones1918

Cadet
I've got a stock 4.0 liter jeep wrangler sport. I've also got a 16.5 foot bowrider with a 70 hp outboard on a single axle trailer with no breaks. <br /><br />for towing (when its a reaaaaaly short trip) i just use my little 2wd 4 banger pickup. it does okay.. but i can tell shes working really hard to pull it and is very happy when the boat is back on the slip. <br /><br />For longer trips, ive just borrowed friend's bigger trucks. I've been told two different things about towing with a jeep. some say its suicide to tow anyting more than a jet ski, and other say you're fine with anything up to 19 feet as long as you dont drive down any steep hills at breakneck speeds. <br /><br />All that to say, I'm not sure if i should invest the few hundred bucks to stick a rec. hitch on the jeep if it's a lost cause to begin with. Does anyone tow with jeep?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: towing with a jeep wrangler

How much does the boat weigh? I think the Wrangler may be limited to 2000 lbs towing, because of the short wheelbase. You will not be limited by power, but the short wheelbase will be an issue. If the boat/trailer is close to 2000 lbs I'd put brakes on it. I have a 98 Grand Cherokee and have towed 3700 lbs both without and with trailer brakes, and it makes a huge difference. These Jeeps have marginal braking systems even when not towing. I would do it only if it is within the tow rating of the vehicle, but even then be careful and avoid high speed highway towing. My Grand does fine on around town roads, at lower speeds. I put on a set of Bilstein shocks and the biggest size tires that were offered OE and that helped.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The problem with the short wheel base Wrangler, like Lou said is not a shortage of power. In the event you get into a sway situation there is a very strong possibility you will end up looking at your boat through the windshield or you will have a good upside view of the ground. Short wheelbase vehicles do not typically make good tow vehicles for this reason. If the trailer axle has the brake mounting flanges (flat plate with four holes located behind the hub) electric brakes can be added for a couple hundred bucks. The advantage with electric brakes is that they can be operated separately so if you do get a sway situation going, hit the manual brake button and the rig will snap straight. Can't do that with hydraulic brakes.

bones1918

Cadet

no clue what the total weight of the rig is. I guess i'll have to find a scale. Any guesses for what a 16.5 with a 70hp 2 stroke might weigh? <br /><br />I'm on a shoestring so adding breaks without my wife noticing would be tough

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your boat/trailer/outboard rig probably weighs about 1500lbs. <br /> I tow with a 4.0 liter 1989 Jeep Cherokee, my boat probably weighs about the same as yours, maybe a little less (15.5 foot bass boat with a 75 horse o/b)and I have had no problems towing. I dont have trailer brakes but that does not seem to be too much of an issue, just make sure your Jeep is in good operating condition. These cars were available with or without a towing package, with they were rated for 5k lbs., without 2k lbs. So if you dont have a towing package you may want to add a tranny cooler and watch your engine temp on long trips because Jeeps are notorious for overheating.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

I respectfully disagree with Mercury89. I also agree with everyone else, your Wrangler has too short of a wheelbase to safely tow anything that may have a mind of it's own (ie a trailer). Just as Upinsmoke said, you will likely get a good look at your boat through the Jeep's windshield, or an upside-down view of the world, and that's if you're lucky enough not to involve someone else. I saw an accident once where a short wheelbase truck towing a boat locked 'em up and jackknifed. Four cars and about 600' later the boat ended up on it's side in the ditch. Three people went to the hospital with serious injuries, and three others required medical attention at the scene. I was the first vehicle not involved so I had a good view of the whole accident, I had nightmares (not really terrifying) for weeks afterward just at the "What could have been." Please for safety's sake, don't do this foolish thing you are considering. Keep borrowing your buddies' real tow vehicles, I bet they have fun in your Jeep just driving to the store while your gone. They're happy, you're safe, what more could you want?

Jeepnn

Seaman Apprentice

Towing with a Wrangler is possible. I have done it for years. HOWEVER, you must remember to respect the fact that you are towing almost the same amount of weight as your tow vehicle. I have towed both a 17' Nitro bass boat with a 90hp merc (1800lbs) and a Starcraft pop up camper (2100lbs) with mine. The boat didn't have brakes, the camper did. The camper stoped so much better that I felt fine towing it. The boat I would never get above 55mph with. I have envisioned slamming on the brakes and watching the boat shoot forward and use the roll bars as a ramp and launch over me onto the vehicle ahead of me.<br /><br />Use your head, double what you think you need for following and stoping distance, and keep it in the slow lane.<br /><br />Mike M.

d.tro

Seaman Apprentice

I think there is quite a bit of a difference between a cherokee and a wrangler. I think mercury was referring to the cherokee. Doesn't that have longer wheel base?

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Cherokee does has a longer wheelbase than the wrangler. I think you may be fine with the wrangler as long as you have trailer brakes.

fondafj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did extensive towing with a CJ7, the wrangler predecessor. Both young AND stupid, I towed a 3000lb boat and trailer combo without brakes. Although it was a very stable tandem axle trailer set up there were certain "rules of engagement" to follow. <br />Keep the speed down<br />Don't tow in the rain<br />Respect the distance to vehicles in front of you<br />Turn OR stop but not both at the same time<br /><br />That said ---- I would NEVER do it again as there is too much lady luck involved. Adding trailer brakes would help but my experiece is that the wheelbase is just too short to effectively control the rig.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

I tow a motorcycle trailer with my Wrangler Sport. The total weight of the trailer and 2 bikes is 1500 pounds. Even though the totel weight is 500 pounds less than the jeeps towing capacity, I have to be real careful. The guys are giving you the true scoop. The 4 L engine has plenty of power. It pulls hard uphill even in 5th geer, but the weight of the trailer always seems to "push" the Jeep. I drive slow, watch my turns, and give myself plenty of stopping room. ;) <br />Stalker

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hopefully you will carry plenty of insurance. If anything happens, you should be sued. Towing anything like you are describing is negligent. The very fact that you have to ask if it's ok should be an indication that it is not. Ask your insurance agent if your coverage will remain in affect.<br /><br />A Jeep Wrangler is a light, short, tall vehicle. It has enough problems just keeping all four tires planted on terra firma in an emergency maneuver. Adding a trailer to that is negligence. <br /><br />You can leave yourself plenty of room to brake and turn, but what happens when that inconsiderate idiot sees your 4 car-lengths following distance and goes "Hey, I can fit in there?" All of a sudden you don't have control over your environment anymore. Just don't do it.