Towing with 4x4 engaged

Andrec4016

Seaman
This question has always been on my mind.. I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L towing a 18' cuddy with a 140hp aprox weight 3000 lbs I have a slip at the shore so I don't trailer it all the time just take it out and in at the begining and end of the seasons.. Is it safe to tow with the 4x4 engaged traveling at about 50 mph is it less stress on the engine and trans or just tow 2wd, traveling distance about 50 miles or so to shore :confused:

DoctorCAD

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Towing with 4x4 engaged

Why would you even want to have 4x4 engaged? 4x4 is for limited traction use.

mtsmith

Cadet

I have a 1998 Landcruiser full time 4 X 4 pulling a 1998 6,000 heap of junk called a Sea Swirl /Seaswirl thousands of mile so far.<br /><br />No problems with the Car or trailer/ Just the boat. Its one thing after another.

Andrec4016

Seaman

DoctorCAD I know 4x4 was designed for limited slip but it was also designed to distribute power to 4 wheels and to increase torch I'm not talking towing in low gear jeep has a high gear for highway speeds at least thats my thinking of 4x4

Bondo

Staff member

Point Is,........<br />4x4 is Unnessessary on Dry Pavement,+ Will burn More Gas,.. For No Reason........<br />There's No Gain.......

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It depends on the construction of the 4 wheel drive system in the Jeep. If if is designed for full time engagement it will not be harmed by towing in 4 wheel drive - however if it is like my Dodge dakota the owners manual warns against engaging on dry pavement. On these types of systems there is no allowance for different rotation speeds for the front vs back axle and the tires have to slip... not a problem on mud or snow but on dry pavement the bearings and driveshafts take a beating and will fail in a short time.<br /><br />I still use mine in 4 wheel low to pull up the ramp... allows me to pull up the ramp nice and slow and smooth. I keep the wheels straight and change back to 2 wheel after I get to the top of the ramp.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

If you have a Jeep with Full time 4x4 then it's ok but not necessary or beneficial. Using Part time 4x4 may lead to damage or excessive wear.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Andre -- 4wd does not increase torque unless low range is selected and that definitely is taboo for highway travel. It still takes the same amount of power to tow the load whether or not you have 4wd selected. Same strain on the engine and transmission. In fact you are increasing wear on the transfer case and front axle components because they would not not normally be engaged in 2wd.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Forgot to add that AWD systems have a center differential and as such are designed to be engaged all the time. Same for the automatic systems so those systems would not be damaged. Manual systems are not intended for dry pavement use in 4wd mode.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Jeep systems--<br />NV 231 Command Track-part time only high and low range, only for loose surfaces but if you pull it out straight, you could use it just to pull the boat up the ramp<br />NV242 Selectrac--has both the part time feature of Command Track and a full time setting that you can run in all the time if you want. Full time gives you an open differential in the transfer case than can accomodate different speeds for the front and rear driveshafts, so it can be used on dry pavement.<br />I use full time to put boat in/out, never needed part time. <br />Running a Selectrac Jeep in full time does not increase gas consumption, because the front hubs on these are locked all the time and the front diff/gears/bearings all spin in 2WD as well. The only extra wear will be on the transfer case chain and the front halfshaft u-joints. I have tried to measure the difference in my 98 Grand Cherokee with Selectrac and there is no difference in fuel economy. But to reduce wear I run in 2 wd until 4x4 is needed.

Andrec4016

Seaman

Thanks Lou C and everybody else here I just wanted to here this from all of you experienced with 4x4 and towing.. so 2wd it is just wanted to see if 4x4 helped on straight runs or not, my system is part time 4x4 I can see all of your points about wearing down the bearings<br /><br />thanks

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

Andre - running your part-time 4x4 system in 4wd in anything other than limited traction situations won't just lead to unnecessary wear - it will break parts. We're talking about major drivetrain components like the transfer case and differentials although you'll probably damage bearings, u joints, steering components and tires in the process. <br /><br />The only exception would be putting it in 4wd to pull the boat up the ramp - but only as long as it is necessary and avoid making sharp turns when in 4wd and on high-tractions surfaces. <br /><br />If you put your truck in 4wd and turn in a tight circle on dry pavement you'll find that the front end binds up and the wheel on the inside of the turn will hop - not good. If this doesn't happen you're on a limited-traction surface, or your 4wd system isn't engaged or working. This isn't a test to see if the surface is slippery enough - generally you'll know if it's slippery because it will be icy, snowy, or muddy. <br /><br />I'm not saying it shouldn't be used, but don't use it incorrectly or you'll be making expensive repairs. I've had 4wd trucks for 20 years and wouldn't be without one so I'm not among the nay-sayers who believe they aren't necessary.

KRS

Banned

The 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee has five transfer case settings... it all depends on which one you are using.<br /><br />Of the three 4x4 settings, you shouldn't be driving on the road with 4x4LOW. Of the two 4x4HIGH settings, there is Part-Time and Full-Time. If you were on loose loose gravel, you *could* use Part-Time, but it's very hard on the components.<br /><br />4X4 Full-Time can be used full time with any road condition, including hard dry blacktop roads. As far as any benefit... I don't see any unless you have changing road conditions that would have loose surfaces.<br /><br />Personally, I would tow 2High and go. If you do find yourself using 4x4 settings much, then be sure to follow the service intervals and change that fluid.

KRS

Banned

oh, I have a 2000 Jeep grand cherokee 4.0 4x4, I am not sure if your cherokee has the same transfercase lever settings, I didn't notice yours was a cherokee until after I posted. Good luck.