towing vehicle

jrc27

Seaman
I have a 96 jeep cherokee(not grand cherokee) with a 5 speed manual transmission.. i just bought a 1989 stratos 285 pro.. should the cherokee be good enough to pull this boat?

D

DJ

Re: towing vehicle

jrc,<br /><br />The weak link in your rig is going to be the clutch.<br /><br />If you have a low range selection (transfer case), use it on ramps.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No.<br /><br />Unless your boat/trailer/load package weighs less than the rated towing capacity of your Jeep AS IT IS EQUIPPED. Better if it weighs less than 75% of the rating.<br /><br />What engine? What diff ratio? Oil cooler? <br /><br />How much does the boat/trailer weigh with fuel and gear aboard?

jrc27

Seaman

the engine is an inline 6, 4.0 that's about all i know. i used to pull a stratos 258 without surge brakes and had no problems.. the new trailer has surge brakes

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You asked the question, JRC. Now I wonder if you want to know the answer.<br /><br />It is your life, and that of anyone who gets in your way.<br /><br />Your Jeep dealer can read your doorjamb plate and tell you the safe rating. You can weigh the trailer.<br /><br />I may be wrong, but I doubt that your Cherokee is rated to tow a 258. If it isn't, don't.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

I have a '91 Cherokee automatic, the tow rating on it is 5000lbs, but I wouldn't get to close to that. The rear suspension can get a little squirrely when trailering. Also when launching the light weight of the truck can be dangerous especially on steep ramps. My rig comes in around 3000lbs and that can be interesting to manuever at times. So like JB said if it's not rated to tow the weight of your setup don't.

jomac

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with JB & the others against that thought----------- Remember just cause you can pull it dont mean you can stop it, what if the surge brakes fail :eek: !!!!!!!!!!!! you got kids

jrc27

Seaman

thanks guys.. there is a plate on the boat that says boat, trailer, motor and gear should not exceed 3400lbs. so i am assuming that it weighs less than that.. would you still advise not using the vehicle.. just a thought, a guy in our club pulls the same type boat with a chevy blazer.. i don't see much difference between the 2 vehicles.. any thoughts...<br /><br />also jb, the 258 i was hauling previously is only a 16ft bass boat with a 70 horse motor..

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That blazer is rated at 6,000 lbs and I think it has a stonger motor HP and Torque wise. I know the rear end of our GMC Jimmy (same thing) has a stiff rear suspension from the factory- the Jeep is softer if I recall.<br /><br />-John