Towing skiers

Bayliner175xt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just looking for a few tips on pulling skiers on our new boat,
We went from a Bayliner 175 with a 3.0 to a Sleekline with a 5.7 PCM V8.
4 blade prop.
Should i be using allot less throttle to pull out a skier an rely on the horsepower to do the work !!

Any tips would be appreciated.

Many thanks and here is our new toy.

Attachments

• P7030312.jpg
    P7030312.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 0

White90GT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Towing skiers

You just have to get the feel of the boat as far as how easily it jumps up on plane and picks up speed. If it jumps up pretty quick, obviously you'll be yanking your skiers arms off trying to pull them up that quick. It will just take a little practice to figure out what works.

With our little 17' Chris Craft with 4.3L, I usually stab the throttle to get her going, then ease off as I've got an eye on the skier. Also depends on what type of skiing. Obviously a slalom skier pulls out of the water different than a wakeboard or kneeboarder.

oldjeep

Admiral

Practice makes perfect, but it'll take a lot less abrupt throttle with the new boat. I switch back and forth between my 3.0L and a v8 Malibu ski boat and it takes some getting used to.

The main thing to watch out for is if you or your skiers like to hop out, you will require a lot less slack to do it.

haulnazz15

Captain

Just roll the power on smoothly and there will be no issues. The power will make itself known by creating a strong consistent pull if you roll it on smooth. If you hammer it from a dead stop, the power just pulls the skier over the top of their skis.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Agree with HnA, smooth roll on. I think you'll find that the boat just powers onto plane gradually. How fast it does so just depends on how much throttle. There isn't the same need for extra throttle to get out of the hole and then backing out smoothly as you have on an i/o or outboard.

The power gives you OPTIONS of how you want to pull someone out. I ski behind inboards 3-5 times a week and we typically ask each other what kind of start we want. One guy (mr. PX90) always wants a quick start: Hammer down and he gripes if he is not out of the water in 1.5 sec. the rest of us like something a bit more progressive.

A tip on driving commands: We generally use a two-part communication.
After the driver takes the slack out of the rope once skier is in the water he waits to hear from the skier. 1. skier says "gear" requesting the driver to put boat into gear at idle speed, then 2. "hit it" or "OK" for a go command that pulls the skier out. This simple intermediate step helps even experienced skiers be set and ready to go and gives a moment of pause = a bit of safety.

Additionally, any time the driver is going to put the boat into gear (forward or back) the driver says "gear" This lets people in the boat or on the platform know that there is going to be a slight move of the boat.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

BTW, great looking boat. It's is fun to see boats not common to the US market. Enjoy it.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Just looking for a few tips on pulling skiers on our new boat,
Should i be using allot less throttle to pull out a skier an rely on the horsepower to do the work !!

YES! Frankly I doubt you'll ever need to go past 1/2 throttle with that new rig. Nice boat!! Driving one of those mid-engine direct drives is FAR different from driving an I/O of ANY horsepower. They pull like tractors with almost zero bow lift, even at partial throttle position, and will rarely need full throttle unless you are pulling an entire ski team out of the water in preparation to do a pyramid or something...

As stated already: Ease into the throttle gently. It's much much easier on your skiiers and you'll be shocked at how quickly they'll get out of the water at partial throttle take-offs. Yes, even for slalomers. As stated, you'll just need to practice. If you hit it too fast many people simply won't be able to hang onto the rope an you'll rip it right out of their hands.