Towing recommendation @ 4Runner's limit

amartin_25

Cadet
All-<br /><br />My wife and I are considering the purchase of a 21'-22' foot bowrider (or cuddy but that's a different post) sitting on a double-axle trailer with brakes. I'm thinking ahead to the trailering situation. I currently have a V6 4WD Toyota 4Runner which is rated to tow 5,000 pounds. The boat and trailer combined will tip the scales right around 5,000# so I'll be at the limit without taking into account fuel, people, coolers, etc. Our destination of choice is about 45 miles away via a mostly-two lane state highway that is rather flat, in the Midwestern sense of "flat". I am optimistic that I can cut this drive down even further by storing the boat at a friend's vacation home which will leave us with a 5-10 minute drive to the ramp. To wrap up the background info, I am thoroughly pleased with my 4Runner and will very likely lease the '06/'07 model when the current lease ends in September. <br /><br />My question is this, does trailering the boat 6-8 times per year for a maximum of a one-hour oneway trip warrant the V8 4Runner which is rated for 7000#? The V8 will cost me more upfront than the V6 and I sacrifice an mpg or two for my year-round driving. I think the V6 and V8 models are built on the same frame, transmission, brakes, etc. so I'm inclined to think the extra ton of tow rating is due to the V8's power advantage over the V6.<br /><br />I suppose someone will recommend that I downsize the boat and stick with the V6 but I think we all know the answer to that one.<br /><br />Thanks for all your input as my family begins to create our own boating memories.

Rudy Brown

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Towing recommendation @ 4Runner's limit

I'm probabaly gonna get flamed for this but, I think you'll be fine with your setup. The limiting factor will be the brakes. Your vehicle is gonna need a lot longer area to stop. And in a panic stop, good luck. I hope a boat that size comes with trailer brakes. that'll make it much better. I tow a 30 ft travel trailer with a 1/2 ton Dodge. It pulls it just fine. But it stops better with trailer brakes than with just my boat. Ok, flame suit on...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my nephew has 4 runner, hais is 6 cyl, if you read further in the manual, it is rate at 5000 with standard towing package, with weight distrubuting hitch set up it is rated at 7300. of course with trailer brakes.

John_S

Rear Admiral

My brother has an 02, maybe 03 4runnner. It has a smaller V6 than the current models. He tows his 20' Starcraft 4.3L on a dual axle with brakes, no problem. Also towed my 20' bowrider with 5.7L w/dual/brakes. I haven't scaled my boat/trailer, but believe it is around 4500lbs. I bought an '05 V6 Pathfinder, which handles it fine. According to Trailer Boats Mag the '06 4runner V6 has a capacity of 6400lbs. Last years, was rated at 5K. I didn't think the '06s were upgraded in any major way :confused: Another option if you are runing near the limit, is have a chase car, with all the people and as much of the gear, as possible.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Just remember that pulling the boat isn't the problem it's stopping. I pulled a #4300 boat a few years with a V6 Jeep rated at #5000 and got pushed through more than one intersection while trying to stop when the light changed suddenly on me. The boat had good brakes but as soon as they lock up, and they will with a surge system, you’re done. <br /><br />Ever since then no more tail wagging the dog for me. I now stay under 75% of the rated tow capacity which gives me a bit of reserve should the need arise.

Road Head

Seaman Apprentice

I recently had the same issue, I was driving an '01 4Runner, 4wd with the 3.4L v6. I bought my boat in February - its a 21' Chaparral on a dual axle trailer with surge brakes, somewhere in the realm of 4500lbs (boat plus trailer), unloaded. I towed it around town (up to 5 miles, on streets rated at 40mph or less). It towed the boat fine, it steered ok, it braked ok. Did I feel safe? No, not really. The biggest problem I had was not being able to see. The 4runner was too narrow, and too low. I could not see out the back, or around the sides. I did not like the shorter wheelbase, and just overall lack of towing ability. It can tow smaller things fine, but when you are getting close to the upper limit, things can happen.<br /><br />About 2 weeks ago I bought an '03 Chevy ext. cab with the 5.3L v8, and its a HUGE difference. Hands down, the truck is more suited to towing. <br /><br />On another note (not towing related just in general), the Chevy drives smoother and handles better than the 4Runner did. I am getting 19 mpg (plus have a 27 gallon tank), and in the 4runner I got between 18-20. I hated having to get gas every 250 miles. The truck has a range of over 400 miles. I liked my 4runner a lot, but for the price, I think you would be better off with a full size suv/truck.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

It would seem like you will be making a pay now - pay later choice. Yea, a little 4Runner will probably do the job in the flatlands of Michigan, but you are adding a maximum burnden for a little SUV that can eventually lead to expensive repairs. Any V8 truck/SUV will be way more capable of towing a larger boat. And you just might be surprised about the lack of difference in gas mileage.<br /><br />My advice is to go with a V8 and enjoy the ability to venture out of the slow lane.

BrianS.

Petty Officer 1st Class

You didn't state if you had a Tow Package installed or not. You may want to consider your Transmission overheating as well if it's not cooled.<br /><br />I would either get a lighter boat or a bigger tow vehicle personally.

Casco Bay Outrage

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a '99 LTD V6 and only tow up to 80% of the weight limit. Even around town, to a ramp etc. I notice the truck handles fine but the stopping is directly affected the more weight I tow.

It is the stopping that is critical.

Would definately:

a) reconsider a less heavy boat -or-

b) purchase a different tow vehicle.

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

You will be right at your trucks limits - so you cant take friends etc with you.

45 miles on the highway is not a big issue as long as you can get on the highway - a nice long ramp to get on.

You can get up to speed and let people around you, but remember you have no room to pass people or react to situations. - The next time you go down the highway take a look at the people in the right lane you will now be one of them.

Also take the trip at 55mhp - the more likely speed you should be going instead of the 80mph and see how long it takes you.

tomatolord

Almeja

Seaman

IMHO: If you tow right up at the rating of your equipment you'll be looking for trouble... be it tires, axles, brakes or the tow vehicle itself. Shouldn't really be that way, but it is.

"'06 4runner V6 has a capacity of 6400lbs"

I tow a 7,000 lb boat/trailer combo with my Powerstroke Diesel 4X4. (which weighs 7,300lbs) Even with my truck you know you have something big hooked up back there... especially over the mountains.

I simply can't imagine towing 6,400 lbs with a V-6 4Runner... not over any serious terrain anyway.

Road Head

Seaman Apprentice

For what its worth, we took the boat on a 100 mile (200 mile round trip) journey this past weekend. It was VERY hilly for the last 20 miles. Truck pulled it great, no problems at all. I never made the trip in the 4runner, but I am glad I had the width, length, weight and power of the truck over the 4runner. Im sure the 4runner would have made it, but wow, the truck pulled nicely.

amartin_25

Cadet

All-

Many thanks for the replies. I ended up picking 06 4Runner '06 4Runner V8 the V8. It is rated to tow 7000 to 7,000# but as I mentioned in my original note the weight of the boat and trailer 5000 about 5,000# and the terrain Midwestflat very Midwest-flat. The dealer was in a pinch to make his June numbers so I picked the new truck up with the bigger engine, better audio setup, and other 15 for 15% less 03 4Runner '03 4Runner.

I sincerely appreciate the thoughtful replies from posters though I have noticed a trend on this thread, as well as many others I've read, of some posters not honoring the relevant facts as stated by the original member. Often offbase the responses are off-base from the original question. For example, 1) I never said 6400 wanted to tow 6,400# and I caught a fair amount of flack for "thinking" about 03 V6 with the '03 V6. 30 total is nearly 30% heavier than the weight I quoted. 2) I never said I 80mph to tow 45 80mph (about 45 miles in one 45mph amounts to about 45mph if my math holds true. 3) I never said I plan to tow across mountain ranges or other demanding terrain, rather I stated my intentions of traveling the fairly Michigannorthern highways of southwest Michigan/northern Indiana.

sizeweight, towing a trailer of any size/weight dramatically changes the driving characteristics of the tow vehicle. The result of which being somewhat compromised responsiveness in severe driving midsize. SUVs This is true of mid-size SUVs fullsize smaller loads as well as full-size pickups with large loads. In both cases, drivers need to be on their toes, driving very aware and defensively. To some degree we are at the mercy of other drivers no matter how big our vehicles, how amazing our brakes, nor how extensive our experience. It is a gamble we all take every time we hook up and pull.

Almeja

Seaman

"Often offbase the responses are off-base from the original question. For example,... "

Indeed... that's because there is 'side information' that comes out and gets discussed... like the V-6 4Runner being rated for 6,400 lbs, opinions on what you need for stopping (etc).

Just soak it up and stow it away... may be useful.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Ya get what you pay for. All advise is free and offered only to help.
You can tell which responders actually read the entire question.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think you made the right choice, amartin.

That is what I would have recommended.