Towing for 2005 Silverado

I am looking at buying a new 2005 half ton silverado with a 3:22 rear, 2 wd. I will be pulling a C-hawk 22' boat with around 3500# load. The truck is a super cab 4 door, short bed with a 5.3 liter engine. I know that the weight pulling capacity is OK, but my question is, will this particular vehicle pull adequatly, or is it a "dog" with the 3"22 rear? Thanks for any input.

Realgun

Commander
Re: Towing for 2005 Silverado

Is it a Supercab or Super Crew? 3.22 seems a little high for towing. is it a 5 speed auto or 4 speed auto?<br /><br />Get the locking rearend, traction control and the 3.73 rearend.

TilliamWe

Banned

Realgun & crabman: first please use GM terminology. The truck is an Extended cab. The axle ratio is 3.23. GM does not offer a 5 speed auto.<br />The truck will not be a "dog". It would accelerate better with a load if you had the 3.73 ratio. But I would think the 3.23 with that engine would still do ok. Don't put oversized tires on it, though. That would make the overall gear ratio even taller, which would negatively affect towing.<br />I see according to trailerboats.com and their tow rating database that the 3.42 axle is not available with the 2wd. That's a shame, cause that axle would eliminate any questions in the application you mentioned.<br />I agree, get the locking rear differential, Gm option code G80. I think they charge $252 or so for it. You will need it for retrieval purposes.

It is a crew cab with 4 sp auto trans. This vehicle gets better mileage than the 3.73 rear. That is why I want this particular vehicle. When I boat I travel 80+ miles one way. The 3.73 kills you on gas consumption as will any vehecle with a higher gear ratio. I am curious on how this will tow from a stop and getting up to cruising speed.

Originally posted by TilliamWe:<br /> Realgun & crabman: first please use GM terminology. The truck is an Extended cab. The axle ratio is 3.23. GM does not offer a 5 speed auto.<br />The truck will not be a "dog". It would accelerate better with a load if you had the 3.73 ratio. But I would think the 3.23 with that engine would still do ok. Don't put oversized tires on it, though. That would make the overall gear ratio even taller, which would negatively affect towing.<br />I see according to trailerboats.com and their tow rating database that the 3.42 axle is not available with the 2wd. That's a shame, cause that axle would eliminate any questions in the application you mentioned.<br />I agree, get the locking rear differential, Gm option code G80. I think they charge $252 or so for it. You will need it for retrieval purposes.

When you talk about oversized tires do you mean "other" than what comes standard? Comment on my post regarding your if you can. Thanks Tilwilam we

TilliamWe

Banned

the true difference in mileage is not as bad as your dealer & others may have you believe. I think trailerboats magazine did a story on that common myth a while back. The difference is not that pronounced.<br />Towing from a stop will be the only place that it may suffer. The 5.3 develops it's peak torque up close to 4000rpm. So yes a taller gear ratio will not help.<br />Is there any way you can test drive the truck first?

TilliamWe

Banned

Originally posted by crabman333555:<br /> When you talk about oversized tires do you mean "other" than what comes standard? Comment on my post regarding your if you can. Thanks Tilwilam we
That's exactly what I mean. You don't want to put taller tires on it, than what comes standard.<br />Kinda like all those jacked up 4x4 trucks you see, with the big 30in plus tall tires. All those truck better have 4.10 or 4.56 axle ratios, or they will be total dogs out of the hole

TilliamWe

Banned

crabman, while their info is not ALWAYS 100%, trailerboats.com tow rating database does not list a 1500 crew cab short bed 2wd with the 5.3 engine. It says the "Crew Cab" only comes with the 6.0l engine, and 3.73 or 4.10 axle ratio.<br />So, which way do the rear doors open... the same as the front doors, or do you have to open the front door first, then open the rear door backwards?

JWood

Cadet

I'm sure he means the 1500 crew cab, which is available with engines other that the 6.0. In fact, I don't think you can get the 6.0 in the 1500 crew.

Wood is correct. I stated that in my 1st post. The truck is 1500 crew cab, w/4 sp auto trans, w/5.3 vortex engine, W/3.23 rear and short bed. I had truck with higher (number) rears, 3.55, 3.73 and ford i think is in between, and I know for a fact gas mileage sucks when not pulling boat. The lower number rear ratios (3.23) will get better mileage that the same vehicle with higher rear (3.73). I was just wondering how low (3.23) can I go before the vehelce would pull like a dog and I might not be satified with it. I had a 3.42 chevy, "99" and mileage was respectible as well as pulling power. This should clear my original post up. Thanks Guys

TilliamWe

Banned

crabman, I confirmed with chevrolet.com that the 1500 crew cab is the one with the real short box (5.5 feet)and does indeed have the 5.3 v-8. Like I said, trailerboats.com does not always have perfect info. :( The truck they were referring to, is obviously the 1500HD crew cab short bed (6.5 feet).<br />Crab, I think you need to drive one of those trucks with the 3.23 axle in it. Since you have had experience with 3.73 and 3.42, you will be the one best qualified to answer your original question. :D <br />I don't understand why GM doesn't offer the 3.42 in that truck. :confused: It seems to me that it would be the "perfect" axle ratio. I say that cause I think 3.23 is a little too tall, and 3.73 is overkill.

tommays

Admiral

crab<br />i have a 2003 silverado auto std cab 8 ft bed with a 4.3 and the 3.23 rear and tow a 4000# plus load no problems other than mountain areas were i have to spend some time in second gear <br /><br />all the GM trucks now have a TOW MODE BUTTON as std which changes all the shift points when pressed and prevents the tranny from useing 4th if it feels the load is to high<br /><br />tommays

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The single most overlooked aspect in selecting a tow vehicle is the axle ratio and selecting a 3.22 in that vehicle is a mistake as it will always be lugging (empty or loaded). If you have to worrry about a mile to a gallon difference you really should consider other alternatives. Manufacturers select standard ratios strictly for fuel economy under ideal conditions (flat road - steady cruise). This by the way is where you run probably less than 20% of the time. If you have a choice, go with a 3.42 or 3.73, especially if you plan to tow alot. The reason -- is simple, less throttle. With the 3.73 you will also be able to tow the load in Overdrive (tow mode selected) whereas the 3.22 will be a slug. Thats my opinion based on 50 years of towing experience. I've never lost an engine or a transmission.

bbalcer

Seaman

Crabman, for what it's worth, I've been towing a 17.5' deep v aluminum boat with a C1500 chevy with a 3.10 rear end. It has a 5.7L in front of it with a 5-spd manual, but I didn't have any problems pulling my boat. For those who know GM configurations like the girlfriend on "My Cousin Vinnie", the motor was upgraded about 100k into it. Food for thought.