Towing Advice Needed

Hello,

I have an 89 Toyota 4-Runner V6 which runs good but has lost some power over the years. I found a 19' boat I like which is an 1986 Invader 175HP. The boat is pretty big and I was wondering if the Toyota would be alright to tow it? Any help is appreciated as always. Thanks.

Torin

Backyardhockey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Towing Advice Needed

Go for it. Put a trans cooler in it. I pulled a similar boat for years with a 93 buick park ave! 400 miles one way several times. Trailer breaks needed if you dont have 'em. I now pull with a v8 '04 T4R. Heck of a diff from the Buick, but you will be good unless you have big hills.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Need more info. How much does boat weigh? Does the 4-runner have auto or manual transmission?

The Toyota has manual transmission. The owner says the boat weighs 2400 lbs.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

I believe your rated towing capacity is 3500 lbs.
Should be fine, however... Do you have a tow package and proper hitch. You said the previous owner told you the boat weighed 2400 lbs. With engine? Need to add for fuel and supplies. What about the trailer? You may have a Class II hitch (good up to 3500 lbs). I'd want a Class III hitch (good up to 5000 lbs).

joethebulldog

Recruit

If you don't have any hills to climb you will be good --- i'm in Texas with plenty of rednecks who i've seen towing a lot more with a lot less

Just looked and the towing package I have is a Reece rated at 5000 lbs. Just a smallish grade to go up to the lake. Nothing too major. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Looks like it might work after all.