Towing a Sea Ray 240 Sundeck.. 4Runner?

Geardaddy

Cadet
Folks,

Looking at buying a 240 Sundeck.. The specs say it weighs 4500 lbs.. I have a 2000 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 with the V6.. The book says it will tow 5000 lbs.. Has anyone towed a boat of this wt. with a 4Runner? I wouln't be towing it often as we are looking to have it stored at a boat motel, but want the flexibility to put it on a trailer to move it if needed.. Thanks for any advice!

John..

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Towing a Sea Ray 240 Sundeck.. 4Runner?

Folks,

Looking at buying a 240 Sundeck.. The specs say it weighs 4500 lbs.. I have a 2000 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 with the V6.. The book says it will tow 5000 lbs.. Has anyone towed a boat of this wt. with a 4Runner? I wouln't be towing it often as we are looking to have it stored at a boat motel, but want the flexibility to put it on a trailer to move it if needed.. Thanks for any advice!

John..
That is 4500# before any supplies, gas, personla things, Etc.
You will be right at the max for the 4 runner.
If you were to tow it very far I would make sure the trailer had good brakes. Did not say if the truck was a auto or stick, but if auto, get a cooler put on it if it don't have one.

magster65

Commander

The Sea Ray site says the 240 SD is 4680 lbs dry. Add 800 lbs for fuel, water, accessories, safety equipment, water toys and your personal stuff. It sounds like a lot but it does add up fast. That's 5480 so a trailer with that capacity will weigh at least 1500 lbs. Now we're at roughly 7000 lbs.
So the answer to your question is... not legally but it will... just.
Check your local state laws as well, surge brakes in BC are no longer adequate for that GVW, now we need 'operator controlled' brakes (electric).
There's a 'crackdown' (what else is new) on this in BC. It started with the drivers license requirements and GVW's for the bigger RV's and now it's made it's way to the boats and their trailers.

SteveRay

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Tacoma is rated for 6500# and fully loaded my 200 Sundeck is around 5000#. In my opinion a 240 is WAY TOO HEAVY for even a V8 4 Runner.
Maybe look at the Sequia??? Can't get a smaller boat right???????

Bunnerrabbit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You also have to remember that the tow rating is with no passengers. You also have to consider the extra weight you have in the 4runner and reduce it from the tow rating. You have to think more "can I stop it" not can I pull it.

SteveRay

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 on Bunnerrabbits statement....Kinda becomes a case of the tail wagging the dog syndrome.​

magster65

Commander

Not sure about the U.S. but in Canada the towing capacity and GVW are seperate items.
A trailer is considered a seperate vehicle thereby having it's own GVW.
Extra people in the tow vehicle doesn't change the towing capacity. The only consideration is the tow vehicles GVW is great enough for the passengers and the tongue weight of the package you're towing.

With my experiences what Bunnerrabbit said is always the case... "You have to think more "can I stop it" not can I pull it."

Searay 240 BR

Recruit

Sounds awful heavy for your 4 runner. I tow a 1992 Sea Ray 240 Bowrider (total weight ~#5650) with a 1999 Grand Cherokee Limited. Comes equipped with the towing package for #6500. I've towed a #7000 travel trailer (using a equalizing hitch) that didn't feel as heavy as the Sea Ray. I think my boat is at #4200 + 70 gals. gas (~500 lbs.) + 50 lbs. personal gear + 100 lbs D8 battery + aluminum trailer #800? (back floats in seawater with the 4 tires).

shorts&chanclas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an '06 220 Select (dry, i think is said to be 4400lbls). I figure my total weight is between 6400 and 6700lbs. I pull with an '03 Z71 Tahoe (4.10 rear) rated to 7400lbs in the TX hill country. Have also pulled it with the wife's Grand Cherokee (4x4 5.7L trailer package) probably rates somewhere around the same as the Tahoe. Either way it puts me between 80%-90% towing capacity. All those guys in the towing forum say 70% capacity is the golden rule to shoot for. I don't think i would even consider pulling anything larger...Matter of fact planning to upgrade to '08 Z71 Avalanche (8200LBS) to put me closer to 70%.

I would consider marina storage (wet or dry) if a smaller boat or larger tow vehicle isnt an option. Hopefully its less than the new truck payment. ;)