Towing a dinghy on plane?

seaman-recruit

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 26' Maxum cruiser and want to get a 9' or 10' dinghy to tow behind it with a towing bridle. I have 2 questions.

1. What is the proper distance between transom and bow of dinghy?

2. Can I get on plane (25-30ish) with a towing configuration or do I need to take it slow? (I boat near-shore western basin of Lake Erie - typical 1' to 2' waves)

The dinghy would only have a 3hp motor (24 lbs) with no other equipment stored on board.

I don't want to transport with davits or a sling on the swim platform because I have family members that need to board using the swim platform / transom door. It would be a PITA to use the fore deck also.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Towing a dinghy on plane?

I have towed jet skis on plane in calm water. The towing bridle puts a lot of stress on the bow eyelet keeping the craft level. I definately would not feel comfortable in any kind of chop like we have on Lake Michigan. It also does change manuvering especially in port when docking. I prefer to have a friend follow me out. Much safer and easier. (this is just a personal opinion)

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The towing bridle puts a lot of stress on the bow eyelet keeping the craft level.
The tow bridle needs to have multiple attachment points.

How long you go is going to be determined by swell length etc. Not too long and not too short. The longer the tow line is the more give the line has. The shorter it is the easier it is to keep the dingy tracking directly behind the boat, so it doesn't fall outside the wake and start surfing or doing other crazy stuff. Too short and it will crash into the back of the tow boat when you chop the throttles.

FWIW I have never towed even close to that speed.

tpenfield

Staff member

In trying to imagine the things that could happen when towing a dinghy at 25 mph, nothing good comes to mind for either the dinghy or the crew.

Maybe best to figure something out where you could strap it to the swim platform while cruising.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I once towed a 20 bass boat on plane BUT if it were me I would get an inflatable dingy and reconsider davits.... some snap davits on the swim platform would let you very quickly "fold" the dink up against the stern or flop it down for folks to board the boat.

seaman-recruit

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The tow bridle needs to have multiple attachment points.

Yes I have looked at a few online that attach to the port/starboard tow rings on the dinghy similar to this:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...1&storeId=11151&partNumber=10294163&langId=-1

I would attach the pivot line to the port/starboard transom cleats. I would only be towing a couple of miles from marina to a few of the local anchorage spots so speed is not an absolute requirement - just wanted to hear from some folks that had real world experience towing from a power boat. (I see blow boats all the time trailing a dinghy behind)

seaman-recruit

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I once towed a 20 bass boat on plane BUT if it were me I would get an inflatable dingy and reconsider davits.... some snap davits on the swim platform would let you very quickly "fold" the dink up against the stern or flop it down for folks to board the boat.

I was trying to avoid having to mount hardware on the swim platform (davits) but on the other hand I would like to be able to get on plane and not worry about having the dinghy under tow - may end up going with something like this as a compromise.

http://www.allinflatables.com/shopping/davits/hb/sling1.html

Drowned Rat

Captain

As mentioned, towing at that speed has many pitfalls. However, I have seen it done. What seems to work well for towing small inflatables on plane is pull the bow up onto the swim platform and secure. Obviously, you can't maneuver that way, but you can cover the big distances that way.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

I totally agree with Drowed Rat on this ,pull the bow of the dingy up onto the swim step.

cribber

Lieutenant

I totally agree with Drowned Rat on this ,pull the bow of the dingy up onto the swim step.

Completely!! I know its not the same but I tow a huge 2 person tube behind my 18 foot bowrider... its easier to tow there tucked close to the stern with half resting on the swim platform.

seaman-recruit

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Rat / bud / crib. That is one I hadn't thought of and makes sense. If I can talk the Admiral into letting me spend some cash (usually involves her getting some new jewelry, etc.) :rolleyes: I may just pony up and buy these Weaver's. They make a quick release so you can remove the clamps when you have the dinghy launched.

weaver-davits.jpg