Tow Vehicle Question

Cuddy

Cadet
Generally, what is better for towing and launching - stick shift or automatic? It will be on a four wheel drive vehicle. Thanks.

araiha

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tow Vehicle Question

User comfort and preference. I have a dodge w/cummins turbodiesel and a stick. Just ease it into gear and idle up the ramp. This is with a 23 ft boat and a 7,000 pound truck. Gotta like that!

EVMIII

Seaman Apprentice

Cuddy,<br /><br />More of a question of weight and power train than transmission. I pull a 25' Wellcraft on a tandom roller trailer with my 1995 Chevy Z71 (automatic). Never even needed 4 wheel drive, but I'm glad to know its there. Good luck.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cuddy, you don't say if you have far to tow. If it's a great distance then a manual would be cheaper than an automatic. These days I think the modern four wheel drive is as good with either type......I only use my vehicle launching or retrieving when on sandy beaches away from a boat ramp. As Guard Bum says it's good to know it's there when you need it!<br />Good luck, Ross

martinwinte

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Generally, (IMHO) launching/retriving is gonna be harder on a straight drive (clutch) than on an auto-trans.<br /> That being said I use a straight drive 4x4 and I normally use 4wd when leaving the ramp (worn 6 cyl. and STEEP ramps).<br /><br /> If Gas mileage is a large concern go with the stick (or overdrive auto). If alot of city (stoplight) driving go for an automatic.

Ranger354

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cuddy,<br /><br />As mentioned above, user preferance. I have had both and would rather have the automatic when backed into the boat ramp. <br /><br />If you go with the AUTO remember to set the parking brake before you shift the transmittion into park. This will take a large strain off the transmittion. <br /><br />If you go with the Standard I always set the parking brake the turn off my engine and place it in 1st gear.<br /> <br />Your parking brake should hold your vehicle and boat on a fairly steep ramp. <br /><br />Do not test the brake at the ramp!

kenh1010

Seaman Apprentice

Automatic Trans is recomended for towing.<br />You should not use overdrive while towing.<br />Four wheel drive can come in handy on a steep<br />wet ramp or gravel or ice/snow.