Tough decision

Lcp-angler

Cadet
Hi guys this is only my second post.
I do alot more reading than posting but I have a tough decision to make and could use some help.
I currently have a 1984 Mark Twain 210sfo with a Johnson 150 outboard.
I love the setup of it runs strong but the problem is that the transom and stringers are shot like really really shot.
now I have a 1986 Larson that I could trade for trading my quad the Larson has a Merc one outdrive and a 305 small block.
the boat overall is in much better shape the outside is nice and the interior is much nicer than the other boat.
the cabin has all been redone has all updated electronics charging ports sterio sink small closet that was a restroom but was renovated into a closet.
guy showed me photos of it striped he removed everything and replaced it from stringers up in the cabin section.
he also removed all the water sogged foam in that area.
I checked the transom area and from the inside the transom is pretty weak. started to rot but the stringers seem very solid they didn't have any squish to them or feeling of rot .
I was able to reach in an put my hand around the stringers I pushed and pulled on it pretty well seems good.
the Larson also is almost the exact same setup as the Twain the Larson seems to have much more cabin room and much more deck space also seems like a deeper hull.
all electronic work with the exception of the temp gauge in the Twain no gauges work the wiring is a night mare I do not trust it and would have to redo it.
So my decision is do I swap for the Larson and do the transom and the temp gauge (I'm sure I'll find more as I always seem to like to make things fit the way I use them).
Sell the Twain for 1k paid 900$ when I bought it.
Or keep my quad (I don't use much ever rather be catfishing) and my mark Twain and bite the bullet and do the stringers and transom. Thanks for and advice if I need to explain anything better please let me know p.s. the Larson motor has a whole list of new parts.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
I personally am a big fan of the mid-80s 305 engine. Easy to work on and it is a tank, as long as you winterize properly. You will become familiar with removing and mounting the outdrive as you replace the transom on the boat. While you are at it, plan on changing seals, bellows, shift cable, possibly the gimbal bearing, maybe u-joints, and the impeller. It is all easy and pretty straight forward. There are a lot of videos and the mercruiser forum is great on this site.

With that being said, outboards are much easier to maintain and Johnson is my preferred outboard as well. And there is the old saying that the beast you know is better than the one you don't. It seems odd to me that the transom wasn't replaced while everything was torn apart on the Larson. Such a strange corner to cut in the process as it literally would have added a day or two of work to a likely month long process. If he cut that obvious corner, what else did he skip? Or if he did rebuild the transom, and it is failing, what else is next?

Regardless, I wouldn't do anything without a test drive first. If the seller is unwilling, that tells you everything you need to know.

If you are that happy with the setup of the Twain, sell the quad to pay for the parts to fix it and don't look back.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
More hassle than they are worth.
Sell the quad.
Then go shopping for a solid boat, possibly one with no motor.

Once you have the replacement boat, keep the best motor and trailer, sell the rest.

Lcp-angler

Cadet
Thanks for the advice guys as far as cutting corners I don't believe he was trying to cut corners this was his first boat he only did the cabin section when he remodeled the boat

Fantastic day cruiser boat! Has strong Mercruiser 305 5L. (that's a chevy small block) We have done tubing behind it, wake boarding, and even some skiing. Stayed in it over night on serveral occasions.

The interior cabin has been remodeled. Bathroom was removed and more bed area added. New carpet and wood flooring installed. Has tablet mount for watching movies, and aux in for surround sound.

Has New Alternator!
New Plug wires!
New distributer!
New Coil!
New water pump!
New Gimbal Bearing!
New Bellows!
Upgraded radio and sound
Upgraded to dual Battery system
Upgraded to new auto-bilge pump
Upgraded with auto trim tabs.
Upgrade to LED lighting.
Comes with folding bimini top and a rain cover.

That's the add he has it listed on now with that my mark twain and the Larson are setup almost exactly the same the Larson interior is in much better shape and is a bit larger also already has everything installed I would want to install in the mark Twain if pictures would help I have a bunch of them

Lcp-angler

Cadet
No Title

Some pictures of the mark Twain

Attachments

• photo263155.JPG
    photo263155.JPG
    326.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo263157.jpg
    photo263157.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 1

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I think the best low-buck solution would be to find a nice big aluminum hull to hang your 150 on. Starcraft made some nice 21-22' that would be ideal.

Lcp-angler

Cadet
I have been searching for a aluminum hull but where I am there is nothing even close to big enough to hold the 150 all small aluminum boats here I am going Monday to look at a 1989 19' cuddy has a 4.3l v6 I know to check the transom and stringers by tapping he is willing to start it for me any thing else I should be checking for or anything specific to that motor I should know to look for he said it has 700 original hours on the motor